What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping crepes thin

C

chef_boy_RD

I've found a few recipes for crepes, and I'm really interested in trying to make some. I've been on a crepe kick ever since I visited The Creperie in NYC. I noticed they spread the batter on really thin and it didn't break when they turned it. Any suggestions on how to spread the batter, keep it thin, and flip without it breaking? I'd be using a very large skillet for this. Thanks!

I make sure the batter is thin enough, to begin with. Then I immediately swirl and twirl the pan, to assure even spreading.

The first one or two are often an experiment to determine how much batter you actually need for the size pan. For instance, most recipes call for 1/4 cup in an 8 inch pan, but I find that to be too much most of the time.

Another trick. If you're having problems getting the batter to flow evenly, work upside down. That is, mix the batter in a shallow bowl, wider than the pan. Then dip the outside bottom of the pan into the batter, flip it, and put it over the heat.

Once you get the knack it's a good idea to make a lot of crepes at one time. They freeze, readily, and that way you'll always have some on hand when the mood strikes.

I love the idea of flipping the pan upside down and dipping it into the batter! Of-course you'd want to spray it generously with pam, and have it good and hot!

There are some marvelous crepe recipes Chef Boy, not just desert ones. I actually posted one of mine here in a Thread, I'll look it up for you and let ya' know where to find it. It's for breakfast crepes.

I have an excellent recipe for chicken crepes that make an outstanding meal!!! As a matter of fact once you get the hang of the crepe making down, you will be making crepes non-stop for a while;). They really aren't so hard to do. I just make a thin pancake type batter and like KYH said swirl the freshly poured patter to thin it as I pour it into the hot pan, and you have got to work fast, and they cook like in a few seconds. You really don't want to over- cook them. I know you'll enjoy making them!

CCCathy

P.S. Look in the Breakfast Thread section and the one that is called "Any breakfast recipes without red meat?" I replied to that and shared the "Cheese Crepes" recipe there.
If you need the chicken crepe recipe I will post it for you, just let me know!

Last edited:
I've actually never had a savory crepe but I'd be up for trying anything new. That pan trick sounds really cool too, I didn't even think about that. These guys that were serving up the crepes that I had looked like they had been doing it for years so its pretty intimidating trying to follow something like that.

Back