Apr 25  # 1 of 26
I recently bought a condo where only electric stoves are permitted. While I know what WM-LOW-MED-MED HI and HI mean, I haven't a clue what temperatures are associated with those designations. Hypothetically, if I put a quart of water in a sauce pan what temperatures could I expect at LOW, MED, and HI, for example?

I tried to determine this myself with a reliable thermometer, but found the readings were all over the place. I've asked everyone I know who cooks with electric and successfully cornered the market on every cockamamie answer you could imagine. Does anyone know authoritatively?
Apr 25  # 2 of 26
You aren't going to like this - but - with electric stoves - when it's done - its done and when it's hot - it's not, and when it's not - it's not. You can cook an egg in 3 minutes or 10 minutes with the same results.

I bought a 2 burner unit for outdoor use - medium and high - half the time the medium is hotter before the high.

So when you figure it out - you can tell us!

LOL

Did I mention - I HATE electric ranges??? You could give me the most expensive house in the world - if it has an electric range - keep it.
Apr 25  # 3 of 26
Hmmm, I'm getting the impression you hate electric ranges. 155.gif
Apr 25  # 4 of 26
I almost said "doesn't every real cook." But then rememberd that Julia Child not only used, she loved, her electric stove.

Of course, hers had 9 burners, so she could move things around when she needed higher or lower temps right now.
Apr 25  # 5 of 26
I'm sorry - but I don't think she was much of a cook anyway. And she sure as heck couldn't bake! All her bread was dry and looked burnt. She'd never make it today with some of the cooks on TV.

She looked like she was always pickled when she was cooking too- like 140 proof - and you don't have any open flames near that!. Probably wouldn't know the difference between a gas range and an electric range!

Just my opinion................