What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thicken a Blackberry cobbler

M

mshomate

We have a plethora of blackberries on our land and they are ripening. We have made three or four cobblers and they always turn-out watery. Ther recipe we use is:

2 cups sugar
2 T corn starch
2 T lemon juice
3-4 cups blackberries

We mix dry ingredients then add lemon juice. We fold-in blackberries and put the mixture into a deep dish with lattice-work dough strips. Bake 350 for 1 hour.

We have hesitated adding more corn starch for fear of making the cobbler taste starchy. Is more cornstarch needed? How much would you recommend?

Did you place your cornstarch, sugar and lemon juice in a small pan to thicken before adding the blackberries? I wouldn't chance adding more cornstarch but you may be able to add some tapioca - you'd have to experiement with it - but you can thicken the mixture before placing in your baking dish. If not I would chuck the recipe and move on to a different one.

or try this:

Berries - (all varieties - blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cranberries, boysenberries, blackberries)
Sugar to taste (2/3 - 1 1/2 cups)
Juice of 1 lemon

TOPPING
(vary portions to the size of your cobbler)
1/3 C. Butter
1/3 C. Sugar
1 C. Flour
Salt (small amount)

Fill a baking dish 1/2 full with berries. Add sugar, mix lightly. Sprinkle w/lemon juice and set aside.

Cream 1/3 Cup sugar with 1/3 cup butter. Cut in flour and salt until crumbly. Sprinkle over prepared berries. Bake @ 350 for 45 minutes or until lightly brown. Push topping into fruit. Serve w/cream or whipped cream.

Serve as first course or as a dessert.

OR

Fruit:
4 Cups blackberries *
1/2 Cup seedless blackberry jam
2 Tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons butter -- cut in pcs
Topping:
1 Cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Teaspoons baking powder
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Cup butter
2 Tablespoons milk -- (2 to 4)
1 egg
2 Teaspoons sugar

* (fresh or frozen, if frozen do not thaw)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.

In mixing bowl, combine blackberries, jam, tapioca and sugar.
Mix well.
Scrape mixture into casserole dish and dot with butter.
Bake 15 minutes or until mixture is bubbly. Stir well.

For topping: In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Stir well. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
Stir in 2 tablespoons milk and egg until blended.
Stir milk mixture into crumbs to form a stiff dough.
On lightly floured board, roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
Cut out dough with cookie cutters(hearts, diamonds, circles, whatever you like).
Place cut out shapes on top of hot fruit mixture.
Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until fruit is hot and bubbly.
Biscuit shapes on top should be golden brown.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mama. I did not thicken the sugar-corn starch-lemon juice mixture first. I will try that before moving on, but, I like the looks of the toppings in your recipes so I will try that on top.

If I can't get results next time, I'm gonna try your second recipe...that one looks fantastic!

-MS-

I hope it works out for you! Many times a recipe sounds easy and good but something is just not right. I find that sometimes you find a recipe on line and for some reason the person posting it leaves out ingredients or a step. Too may times it's done intentionally. I don't agree with that. If you're going to post a recipe - post it the proper way.

All these big "SECRET" ingredients - no one is suppose to know the exact ingredients/measurements. Grow up - take the damn recipe to your grave - who cares. With all the recipes out there - there's a dozen or more that are a heluva lot better tasting!

No matter how good a recipe is - there is always one for the same thing that is better.

Just like in life - no matter how good you are at something - there is always someone who is better than you.

Shush Mama - you're at it again................

I prefer to thicken fruit pies with tapioca
Just mix the fruit, sugar and tapioca in a bowl and let set for 30 minutes or so. Give it a good stir and put in crust, top with your topping or crust of choice.
Measurements are on back of box. I would use #s for blueberry pie for any berries. I have never had this let me down and I bake a whole lot of pies.

Good Luck,
Nan

Back