Feb 3  # 1 of 5
I made up a nice stew tonight and wanted to make up some Spatzels to go along with it. I have tried to make Spatzels numerous times without having very much success. Tonight wasn't any different.
My birthday was yesterday and as requested I was given an 8 quart Calphalon stock pot with a two piece strainer inserts. I figured the holes in the strainers would work pretty good for Spatzel judging the recipes I have been checking out on making them. All I did was make a mess.
When I was over seas in Germany I had the best Spatzel of my life. The noodle was like a short spaghetti noodle but lighter. I would love to make Spatzel like that.
Does one have to have a Spatzel press or is there a trick to making them? My batter was just a bit thinner than a pancake batter. When the batter hit the water I had more of an egg drop soup than I did a Spatzel. If anyone has some advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Feb 4  # 2 of 5
here's a recipe - quite basic -

3 lg Eggs
2 c Flour
2 tb Butter
1 c Milk
1/2 ts Salt

Beat eggs well; add remaining ingredients and beat
until the dough blisters. Drop from the tip of a wet
teaspoon into boiling salted water. Cook until tender
(about 15 minutes). Drain.

don't laugh - I use an old aluminum pie plate that my dad "punched holes" in using a large nail

quite dangerous to store - but makes the best noodles!

if you want to try it - make sure you drive the nail through the pie plate from the inside and not the outside

been doing it like that for 50 years - same pie plate

and if your dough/batter is too thin - add a tad more flour
Feb 4  # 3 of 5
and by the way -

(singing) Happy birthday to you.................

Mama
Feb 4  # 4 of 5
Thank you Mama. I actually searched SP for a spatzel recipe and the only search result was a mention of it by you with a broccoli recipe.
I make pretty close to the same batter except for the pinch of nutmeg and pepper that I use. I do end up eventually adding more flour and cutting them in with a knife.
I like the pie plate idea. When you say nail holes. do you mean an average 10d size or did your dad go big and use a 20d spike? Lol. I'll use a 3/16" drill bit.
Feb 4  # 5 of 5
Hey Old Man HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! And may you have many more:)

P.S. Just teasing about the old part (you're younger than me;) )