Feb 25  # 1 of 9
I have a food slicer that I cut the potatoes into 3/8" cuts, which I think is a bit small but still good. I leave the skins on. After cutting up 4-5 potatoes, I'll pour about a tbs of olive oil on and rub it into all the fries, then add some spices like oregano, chili powder, onion powder, season salt, etc...

I typically bake on the center rack at 350 (maybe I need to step it up) on a cookies sheet I've coated with vegetable spray for about 35 min or until they're done. I've tried on tinfoil but they burn to the foil and are impossible to remove.

The problem I'm having is after about 35-40 min, some start to burn on the edges but the middle is still kinda limp and medium cooked. I know they won't be nice and crispy like deep fried, but I know they are way too flaccid.

I've typically made wedges which turn out perfect, so I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong with my fries. Any suggestions?
Feb 25  # 2 of 9
sometimes it's the thickness of the cut
I lay mine in a single layer and I drizzle with oil; toss to coat and bake - they come out fine - but I make mine like steak fries
Feb 25  # 3 of 9
Hi Agr,

Welcome to our forum, hope you will one day have excellent fries!!! I have a cast iron griddle and I would recommend you use one, but first before placing the fries on it preheat it in the oven at 425°, have your fries already oiled and seasoned drop them quickly onto the griddle (make sure it is well seasoned and greased) in a single layer and bake until browned. That will cook more evenly than on a cold cookie sheet placed into the oven . See if that is more to your liking. You could also use a non-stick griddle as well, just preheat and do as above.
Feb 26  # 4 of 9
AG, I have always had a hard time doing fries in the oven too. I saw an episode on Americas Test Kitchen I think, and they actually pre cooked the potato slices in the microwave first. Microwave the potato slices for about 10(+/-) minutes until they just start to become tender. You should just be able to bend one of the fries without it breaking but not cook it through. Then after tossing the fries in oil, arrange in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake. I'm a big fan of parchment paper myself so I actually use it under my fries when baking them. I bake my fries at 425* until golden brown, flip the fries after first 10 minutes of baking. After I remove the fries from the oven and add my seasonings.

There was a really good recipe for Baked Lemon Fries that was posted on SP not to long ago and I would highly recommend it.
Feb 26  # 5 of 9
You know I find by the time I drizzle enough oil on the potatoes to get them to crisp up in the oven I could have just fried them. I even do my frying in olive oil Mario is right about that one it makes great oil for frying. I've never had any trouble with it burning. If you have your oil at the right temperature they won't absorb any more oil than they would if you drizzle them with oil and bake them. At least that is my experience.