Nov 14  # 1 of 11
Have recipes that call for 1 cup dried Garbanso (Chick Peas) cooked. Most dried beans I have done in the past wentd 3X, meaning 1 cup dried = 3 cups cooked. Could I assume the same for chick peas and measure 1/3 cup? I'm trying to make low sodium humus (check my spelling there might be 2 m's). I sometimes half a recipe when I don't know if I'll like it or not.

Here's another: 1 1/2 cups dried black-eyed peas, cooked and drained.

Is that 1 1/2 cups measured when dry or when cooked and drained. This is for Marinated Black-Eyed Peas (Texas caviar) and with 1 cup of bell pepper added (1/2 red - 1//2 green) it would serve 4. If measure after cooking it would be 1 1/2 cups, if measured before it would be 4 1/2 cups. What I call a serving is usually a lot more then what the book calls a serving.
Nov 14  # 2 of 11
Quote jpshaw wrote:
Have recipes that call for 1 cup dried Garbanso (Chick Peas) cooked. Most dried beans I have done in the past wentd 3X, meaning 1 cup dried = 3 cups cooked. Could I assume the same for chick peas and measure 1/3 cup? I'm trying to make low sodium humus (check my spelling there might be 2 m's). I sometimes half a recipe when I don't know if I'll like it or not.

CHICK PEAS (GARBANZOS) - 1 cup of garbanzos soaked in 3 cups of water for 3 to 4 hours will yield 2 cups of beans. Rinse before soaking.

Here's a Hummus recipe if you want it -

1 cup dried garbanzo beans (also called "chick peas")
3 cups water, distilled preferred, for soaking beans
5 cloves (the buds or separations within a bulb) of garlic
1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1 & 1/8 cups additional water, distilled preferred
1 tablespoon cooking oil, extra virgin olive oil preferred, optional
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup whole sesame seeds or tahini (sesame seed paste)
3/4 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon paprika
2 cups water, distilled preferred

Rinse garbanzo beans; pour into large jar or bowl with lid. Add 3 cups water, cover, and soak 3-4 hours or overnight (yields over 2 cups after soaking). Drain water when ready to use. Steam or boil both garbanzo beans and garlic until tender.

Combine water, sesame seeds, salt, and spices in electric blender; puree for 2 minutes to break up sesame seeds. (If using tahini, only blend for a few seconds to mix.) Add lemon juice, oil (if used), and half of the cooked beans/garlic; blend until smooth. Add remaining beans/garlic and blend; remove from blender and mash any remaining whole beans or garlic cloves with a fork.

Top with an extra dash of oil, lemon juice, and paprika, if desired. Use as a spread or dip for bread, sandwiches, crackers, and vegetables. Keep refrigerated.

Black eyed peas - 1 cup will give you 3 cups cooked. for the recipe - 1 1/2 cups cooked and drained - so that would be 1/2 cup dried

I hope this helps
Nov 14  # 3 of 11
Thats what I needed to know. Thank you Mama. BTW I had a Hummus (that sucker did have 2 M's in it didn't it) recipe without the salt. Thats the problem with us low sodium diet people, we almost always have to use the dried beans since the canned ones are too high in sodium.

That low sodium recipe also had another recipe for making tahini if your grocer did not carry it. It's nothing but sesame seeds, sesame oil and water, blended. Your recipe was simplier in that you just blend the sesame seeds along with the main recipe. I might just use your recipe, without the salt of course.
Nov 14  # 4 of 11
Quote jpshaw wrote:
Have recipes that call for 1 cup dried Garbanso (Chick Peas) cooked. Most dried beans I have done in the past wentd 3X, meaning 1cup dried = 3 cups cooked. Could I assume the same for chick peas and measure 1/3 cup? I'm trying to make low sodium humus (check my spelling there might be 2 m's). I sometimes half a recipe when I don't know if I'll like it or not.

Is that 1 1/2 cups measured when dry or when cooked and drained. This is for Marinated Black-Eyed Peas (Texas caviar) and with 1 cup of bell pepper added (1/2 red - 1//2 green) it would serve 4. If measure after cooking it would be 1 1/2 cups, if measured before it would be 4 1/2 cups. What I call a serving is usually a lot more then what the book calls a serving.

Hello John,

Use 1 1/2 cups measured cooked black-eyed peas that are drained for your Texas Caviar.

For Hummus that is enough for only you I would only cook 1/4 cup dried chick-peas. That should cook up to be plenty for yourself. The Hummus is delicious with lots of lemon juice and so you will not miss the salt at all :) I also recommend using sesame oil if you do not have the Tahini, because it gives the same fabulous flavor yet is so much easier to find in these rural areas (usually I find mine in the same area as Oriental Food section).
Nov 15  # 5 of 11
Hello Cathy - I will probably make the whole recipe for Hummus when my daughter and son-in-law come to visit. They both love this stuff. My wife and son are a little less venturesome. Daughter-in-law might try it though. She even eats my pico. I highly doubt anyone will know it's low sodium. I will tell them I bought it. -John-

BTW you are right. I couldn't find tahini here but did find sesame seeds and sesame oil.