Feb 6  # 1 of 6
I did a search and couldn't find a single stewed tomato recipe here. Canned stewed are fine to use as an ingredient in other recipes, but on their own they taste nothing like the stewed tomatoes grandma use to make. Does anyone have a good recipe they can share? I prefer to start with canned tomatoes instead of fresh. Any help would be appreciated.
Feb 6  # 2 of 6
Place your can of diced tomatoes in a saucepan; add 1 tablespoon butter, scant teaspoon salt, pepper to taste, scant teaspoon sugar - and if desired - thicken with 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a cup of water

Stew slowly for 30 minutes - thicken (as above) if desired.
Feb 6  # 3 of 6
Thanks, Mama Mangia. The stewed tomatoes I remember from long ago had pieces of torn bread in it, and wasn't just tomatoes, might have had onion and green pepper in it.
Feb 6  # 4 of 6
You're welcomed.

Remember - stewed tomatoes are just that - tomatoes. Yes, you can add bell peppers and/or onion and even mushrooms - but then it's not the classis "stewed onions" - it's tweaked to your taste.

But that is the fun part of cooking - you do it your way!

Enjoy!
Feb 6  # 5 of 6
I never thought of it that way. I have a feeling that lots of the dishes our grandparents made came out of their head or they saw their parent make it that way. I know when I asked my grandmother for one of her recipes she'd say a pinch of this and a dab of that, never saw her use a recipe when she cooked. Guess this stewed tomatoes thing will take a little experimentation on my part. Thanks again for your help.