What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Texas!

C

coco200066

So now that the hubby and I are getting serious about our health and weight so besides counting calories I need to make sure I keep our sodium levels down.

So I look forward to all the helpful hints you guys can spare on making food delicious but low sodium at the same time.

Thanks!

Hey!! I used to live in Texas with all the good food there it's so hard to stay in and cook. I loved all the Mexican food!!

Yes the food is excellent for sure and way too much at times lol.....so hard to translate to healthy cooking hehehe.

Hi there Coco!!!

Welcome to our forum, I guess the best thing I can say about going low sodium, is it gives you the opportunity to use fresh squeezed lemon as a salt substitute!!!! Yummy!!!!

CCCathy

Thanks guys......

I didn't know lemon could be used as a salt substitute...wow....I have a lot to learn lol.

Coco there was also a salt-free spice mix called "Spike" that is to die for! It makes baked chicken taste so sensational you will not miss the salt, I think you can order it on-line and in health food stores for sure! Yes fresh squeezed lemon on baked meats is simply delicious, try fresh lime juice also! Chicken is great with lemon, beef is good with lime. Experiment and see what you think. Do not hesitate to use your spices generously as you wean yourselves away from salt. Personally I adore salt, but have been many times in my "healthy eating" mode where I was trying to go salt-free. I learned alot during those times.;)

Last edited:
Welcome to THE coolest foodie site on the web, coco. We all enjoy meeting new folks and making new friends, and we're glad you're here.

as Cathy stated lemon is a flavor enhancer. I use a lot of citrus, especially lime. Also vinegars-- I have a huge assortment. Use the fresh citrus or vinegar to finish a dish.
Play with herbs, peppers, etc. you have not used.
I use a lot of the curry spices. Remember many are best purchased in seed form and ground as needed. Get an inexpensive coffee grinder.
Many spices also need to be roasted or sauted before adding to dish.
enjoy,
Nan

Lemon is an excellent substitute for salt. I always have a jar of Lemon Pepper seasoning on hand. Nothing may take the place of salt but lemon sure helps to reduce the need for so much of it.

Back