What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Wales

Keziah

I'm posting from over ocean.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could post a recipe for corn bread.:)

I've heard of it, and would love to try it, but have not been able to buy it in Wales.:mad:

We do not seem to have anything like it in Wales. :confused:
Can you be very specific as many products are available in the United States that are not in Wales. Also many product have different names, also are sold under different names so please could you be very basic when listing your recipe.

Also could you tell me if it is served hot or cold and with what types of meal should it be served.

There are so many variations on the 'net, I do not know what is traditional and what is made up by some nutter trying to jazz up an old recipe.

Also does anyone have any recipies for hot biscuits. When is the correct time to serve them and what accompanyments would you serve with them.

If anyone is interested in any traditional welsh recipies I would be only to happy to post them on this forum.

Hi Keziah,

Welcome to our forum. I will pull up a cornbread recipe and I hope you will enjoy making it and eating it! We eat ours buttered while it is hot out of the oven, and some times add honey. Cornbread is delicious!

Cheers, Cathy

Here is a basic Cornbread recipe:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup yellow or white cornmeal
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup soft butter

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in cornmeal. Add eggs, milk and butter. Beat until smooth, about one minute. Do not overbeat. Pour into a greased 9" x 9" x 2" pan. Bake at 425° for 20 to 25 minutes.

Last edited:
My recipe for cornbread:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp granulated sugar (optional)

I wisk the dry ingredients together then add the wet. Mix well and bake in a large iron skillet.
Note: Before adding your batter to the iron skillet you want to heat the iron skillet over a medium heat and melt in one tablespoon of bacon grease to keep you cornbread from sticking and add flavor to the crust. When the bacon grease is melted swirl it all around the pan to make sure the bottom and sides are coated with the grease. Then add the batter and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Amish Cornbread

1 c. sifted flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. yellow cornmeal
1 egg, well beaten
1 c. milk
5 tbsp. shortening melted and cooled

Sift first 4 ingredients. Mix in cornmeal. Blend egg, milk, shortening until mixed. Add to dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Use greased (bottom only) 8x8x2 pan. Bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Buttermilk Cornbread

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow, white, or blue cornmeal
2 to 4 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1/4 cup cooking oil

Grease a 9x9x2-inch baking pan or two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, desired level of sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In another bowl beat together eggs, buttermilk or sour milk, and oil. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in a 425 degree F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Note: If desired and using loaf pans, cool, wrap, and freeze 1 of the baked loaves. Before serving, rewrap frozen loaf in foil and place in a 375 degree F. oven about 25 minutes or until heated through. Servings: 8 or 9

Sweet Buttermilk Corny Cornbread

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3 large eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 16-ounce whole kernel corn, drained

1. The night before, mix the cornmeal and buttermilk together in a medium bowl. Let it sit overnight at room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In another bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together.
3. In a third bowl, whisk the eggs and then add the sugar. Stir until combined and syrupy. Add the honey, melted butter, and corn and mix well.
4. Add the wet mixture to the cornmeal and buttermilk mixture. Add the dry ingredients one-third at a time and mix until moistened. The batter should be pourable like a cake batter. Because different grinds of cornmeal absorb moisture differently and because the drained corn may carry different moisture levels, you may need to adjust the batter slightly with additional milk or flour.
5. On the stovetop, melt two tablespoons of vegetable shortening in an oven-proof 11 to 12-inch skillet until very hot. Pour the batter into the pan. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until the top is browned and firm and springy. (This is a moist cornbread and needs to be well-cooked.) Cool in the pan.

cornbread can be made in a cast iron skillet, an 8 X 8-inch square baking pan, a loaf pan, muffin tins, etc.

served warm from the oven is my favorite - but you can eat it anytiime - with tea for a quick snack, goes well with chicken, stews, chili, etc.

if you see an ingredient that does not sound familiar to you - just give a holler - that is why we are here - we love helping and sharing

Hi Keziah, and welcome to Spice Place!

I hope you enjoy this site. It's made up of a fine bunch of people from various backgrounds and experiences. We'd love to hear more about your life and cooking in Wales- please share recipes and tales!

Cornbread and biscuits are two popular quick-breads made in most regions of the U.S.- but with strong Southern roots Each region has a slightly different recipe and technique- though they are all similar. As you see from the recipes already provided by others, cornbread is a yellow bread made from portions of flour and cornmeal. Sometimes it's sweet from sugar- sometimes not so sweet. It's also commonly made into individual muffins. Cornbread is served w/ most anything though some of the foods that quickly come to mind are: Ham and Beans (our typical American rendition is similar to cassoulet) fried chicken, bbq pork ribs and chicken, fried catfish.

Biscuits are another quick bread generally cut into individual rounds before bake. Though there are "drop biscuits" as well. They tend to be severed very similarly to cornbread w/ many of the s ame foods. The main difference being that biscuits are also commonly served for breakfast as the morning meal- either slathered w. soft butter and jam or jelly, or smothered in a thick milk gravy w/ crumbled pork sausage added. I love eating biscuits BOTh of these ways- and I love cornbread, too!

(NOTE: In the U.S. we call a 'quick bread' those bread items not made with yeats where rising/proofing is required- rather, those that use baking powder or baking soda that are simply mixed then baked right away.)

Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness: SIZZLE, SIZZLE, SIZZLE ~ YUM!

Good Morning to You « The Duo Dishes

Thank you all for such speedy replies.

I will be trying the savory and sweet corn breads as soon as I find a supermarket that stocks corn meal.

I don't remember seeing it on any of the shelves, but these days there is always the net. Thank goodness.

Does anyone have a good recipe for biscuits. These biscuits are they soft or crunchy?

The reason being we get quite a portion of American Television over here now since they have been transmitting in digital signal rather than analog.
So I see these shows where they are having biscuits or corn bread and to me it looks delicious. I know it is television and they can make tinned dog food look like a feast for a king, but that yellow corn bread, in my mind I can almost smell it.

And yes I will post some traditonal Welsh recipes.

Keziah this is the simplest biscuit recipe I know of! The biscuits are soft and just delicious when I make them:

Preheat Oven To 500 Degrees

2 Cups Self-rising Flour
1/4 Cup Crisco Shortening
1/8 to 1/4 cup Milk - Be Careful! Use just Enough milk to Make A Nice Biscuit Dough

Cut Shortening Into Flour Until Well Combined, Add Milk And Mix Just Until Evenly Moistened. I Then Spoon Out A Biscuit Sized Amount Of Dough And Drop Into Flour Bin And Dust It With Flour On Top Then Gingerly Pick It Up And Bounce In The Palm Of My Hand A Second To Remove Excess Flour Then Quickly Shape Into Round Shape And Place Onto Baking Sheet Or Pan. Place Biscuits Touching Side By Side. Place Into Oven For 12 Minutes Or Until Nicely Browned. When You Remove From Oven Cover The Biscuits In The Cooking Pan With A Clean Cloth And Allow To Steam For A Moment. Serve Immediately, Apply Butter Or Margarine As Desired!

Thanks, I have seen polenta on the shelves.

I imagine what we term a cornflour is not the same as yours. It is a very fine white powder mostly used as a thickening agent for gravy and sauces.

I really wish manufactures would use the same name world wide. It would make things so much easier and would not lead to so much confusion.:confused:

Oh- what you describe is our "Cornstarch". A fine, silky white powder used to thicken. I agree- would make it so much easier to have just one name for all to use.

Exactly. That's the stuff.

If you said corn starch to me, I would be thinking of a substance to stiffen collars. :D:D

When I shop on the 'net next I'll have a look to see what is available.

Keziah,

Here are the two products I personally most commonly purchase to make cornbread or corn muffins. The first link leads you to "corn meal" which is combined w/ flour to make corn bread batter from scratch.

But for a quick short-cut, I sometimes buy the easy pre-measured Jiffy Mix that when quick-combined w/ milk, egg and melted butter or oil makes a dandy product, too.

Scroll further down on the Jiffy page to see the many various pre-measured convenience mixes that Jiffy Co. makes for sale: Biscuit mix, blueberry muffin mix, chocolate muffin mix, banana muffin mix, pie pastry mix, pizza crust mix, and many, many more! Plus, at least here in the U.S.- they are super-CHEAP! :)

Buy The Case: Quaker Yellow Enriched & Degerminated Corn Meal

"JIFFY" Mix – America's Favorite – From Chelsea Milling Company

Kevin when I grew up I only knew of there being one cornbread in the world! JIFFY!!! My Mom only made Jiffy and when I was grown and on my own, my new Mother-In-Law made old fashioned cornbread from scratch and baked it in her iron skillet>>>I thought it was the WORST tasting crap ever!!!:eek: You know over the years I have come to love that type cornbread and actually now prefer it ha-ha! Make it all the time now!:D God rest her soul my Ma-in-Law sure broadened my horizons, she was truly a old-fashioned Southern cook! She could bake biscuits and mixed them right in the flour bin never used a seperate bowl! I tried it her way and never could get it down, I have to use a bowl to mix my dough! She would work her dough entirely by hand from the Crisco to the Buttermilk right slap in the center of her flour canister! Whenever I tried to do it her way I would always wind up with the whole cannister full of dough! Hee-hee;)

We don't get that Jiffy brand in Wales. I doubt if I would buy them anyway. I feel that there are far to many chemicals in our food stuffs and try as best as I can to eat non contaminated foods and foods with trans fats.

It is nearly impossible now to live on fresh stuff as everything seems to have some artifical substance added to it.

The Quaker product looks fine though but the only Quaker Brand products we have readily available are Quaker Oats and products such as Oats so Simple.

Yes, I know we do appear to be in the back waters somewhat and I feel that when it comes to the availability of many products we are. I also feel that the Welsh as a nation are some what conservative in what they will eat. It is difficult to get a Welsh person to try something new. I think that is reflected in the way our supermarket shelves are stocked. Of course this is a generalisation and not everyone is so backward in coming forwards.:D

Yes old methods of cooking were incredible, when you think of it.

I can appreciate the way your mother-in-law cooked. When you say skillet, is it a frying pan?

My Grandmother used to make the most amazing cakes, tarts, pies, bread all in an oven at the side of the coal fire. She didn't seem to time anything or measure anything for that matter.

She used to make Welsh cakes on a bake stone, they were to die for.

Back