Nov 14  # 1 of 7
hi every one!!! looking for tips on new turkey brines. have used brine about 5 years.
Nov 14  # 2 of 7
Most store bought turkies come pre brined. If I get a fresh turkey or want to brine chicken I just put the bird in a deep pot, or cooler, my brine consist of just 1 cup of salt to a gallon of water. Sometimes I will add a couple good shakes of Bells Poultry seasoning too. I will let the poultry brine for at least 24 hours.
A good trick, to keep the bird under the liquid, fill a few zipper top bags with water and place on top.

One of these days I want to brine a duck as I had seen on Simply Ming. He brined with a salt and sugar combination. About a half cup of each per gasllon of water.

Thanks for noticing that Mama.
Nov 15  # 3 of 7
I always brine turkeys with salt and sugar. I toss in lots of herbs, spices and citrus to add flavor. I was thinking of brining the duck I have but I never have problems with duck being dry like with turkey so why bother.
Nov 15  # 4 of 7
Quote The Ironic Chef wrote:
Most store bought turkies come pre brined. If I get a fresh turkey or want to brine chicken I just put the bird in a deep pot, or cooler, my brine consist of just 1 cup of water to a gallon of water.

don't you mean 1 cup salt to 1 gallon water??
Nov 15  # 5 of 7
from my TD cookbook I wrote -

Before I get into the brine I would like to explain that salt plays a very important part when brining. And different salts need to be measured and used - depending on the salt you are using. Their weights and volumes are not the same.

2 cups of Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt is equivalent to
1 ½ cups Morton Kosher Salt or
1 cup Table Salt

For example - if you need 1 ½ gallons of brine, you will use ¾ cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, 3/8 cup brown sugar, 2 to bay leaves, 2 ¼ teaspoons whole black peppercorns, ¾ bunch fresh sage and ¾ bunch fresh thyme.

If you need 2 gallons of brine, you will use 1 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, ½ cup brown sugar, 3 to 4 bay leaves, 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, one bunch of fresh sage, and one bunch of fresh thyme.

This is just a basic brining recipe - you can use dried herbs or any herbs or choice.

To make your brine - use one quart of water (which you subtract from you gallon measurement - basic math - 3 quarts of water left per gallon). Place this quart of water in a saucepan with salt and brown sugar, stir over medium-low heat until salt and sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and add herbs. At this point you can cool completely and add 3 quarts cool water and add to brining pot OR you can pour the hot brine mixture into your brining pot and add 2 pounds of ice (which equals one quart of water), stir to melt and add 2 quarts of cold water.

I have much more info on turkeys if you want a copy of it -