Feb 16  # 1 of 11
Most recipies I come across require 1/2 to 1 pound of bacon. I can understand the flavor and grease factor but they rarely say to cut them into smaller pieces or to discard them or any info for that matter. Any further comment in the directions is limited to draining the grease. Is it expected that users are to cut it into bite size pieces, bacon bits, or maybe even an undisclosed understanding that it is to be discarded after the flavor set's in and before the first main ingredient.
I'm sure some dutch oven veterans can help.
Thanks,

Jim C :)
Feb 16  # 2 of 11
I've never had a recipe with bacon as an ingredient where it did not state how it was to be used, usually crumbled. Do you have a specific problem recipe?
Feb 16  # 3 of 11
I've been primarily using a book titled "Kettles and Coals" by Ken & Cheryl Allred. Most of their recipies don't specify what to do with the bacon. The recipie I just happened to glance at was on page 48, all of the 3 chicken recipies list bacon and no options with what to do with it. Most of the recipies in this book are that way and several recipies I find online as well. I didn't think of it before but I should also ask the authors of the book I'm using as an example. I like your idea of crumbling it though. I think it's an excellent idea.
Feb 17  # 4 of 11
Hi jcclark- and welcome to our l'il neck o' the woods! My name is kevin. :)
Feb 17  # 5 of 11
Welcome to the forum. I would include the bacon unless specifically stated otherwise. And never discard bacon, that's like a bonus to the cook, just eat it as a snack while you're continuing cooking :D