What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cooking

M

mayra

hi everyone i have a question... i bake a bread, everything was going good
but, when i put it to the oven it never baked just the top part of the bread.
why is it that always it cooks just the top of the bread?:confused:

if your bread is doughy it wasn't kneaded enough, kneaded properly and asn't given a chance to rise (double) in bulk before going into the oven

also - is your oven the proper temp? invest in an oven thermometer - oven need to be calibrated with time

also - did you use a glass pan? that wil definitely give you a burnt crust and raw underside

are you removing the baked loaf from the tin immediately when removing from the oven?

also - what kind of an oven do you have?

and are you placing it on the top rack? top racks are for browning

ohh.... i didnt use glass pan because i just bought the box that its for doing cakes so in that box it brings the flour and i just had to add water and margarine.
i think that my oven its fine.
But my cake was burned from the top and the other part of inside the cake was not cooked.:s

hi everyone i have a question... i bake a bread, everything was going good
but, when i put it to the oven it never baked just the top part of the bread.
why is it that always it cooks just the top of the bread?:confused:

ohh.... i didnt use glass pan because i just bought the box that its for doing cakes so in that box it brings the flour and i just had to add water and margarine.
i think that my oven its fine.
But my cake was burned from the top and the other part of inside the cake was not cooked.:s

I gave you a reply for bread - now you say cake?

did you bake the cake on the top rack?

did you preheat your oven?

did you allow your cake to cool in the pan for 10 ot 15 minutes before removing it?

it also sounds like your oven temp was too high

or were you making a pie?

I don't use mixes but I never heard of a cake mix with water and margarine.

Did you use a toaster oven. It is quite common with a toaster oven to do this. They have to have the broiler element on to reach temperature, meaning it will try to broil your bread instead of bake it.

BTW welcome to our forum.

Quick question, if you were making a cake, did you use one box or two boxes if you used two boxes and the receptacle you used was narrow and deep the cake will take double the time written on the cake box. If you used one box and again used a narrow and deep pan it takes much longer than the time on the box, the wider 3" deep pans works much better

Reminds me of the time my wife cooked her first whole chicken.. Upside down..

many roast their turkeys upside down so that the juices flow to the breast and it is not as dry - I, myself, I turn my turkeys and chickens oven when roasting

Mama Mangia, well I stand corrected, this is the first time I know about roasting turkeys upside down. What I do is overnight place my stuffed turkey or chicken in the oven on a low fire, when I awake my baked meat of choice is thoroughly baked, all I need is to add the baste and cook for another 5 mins, but I will definitely use this idea when I am in a rush.

it really doesn't affect the cooking time - it is the fact that the juices flow into the breast of the bird - which we all know is the driest part of the bird - I'm always flippin' the bird! LOL

I also bake my birds upside down. Nice to have a rack in the roasting pan. Then flippin the bird, lol, Mama. let the top get nice and brown before it's removed from the oven.

I start my birds on their backs and then flop them over - the bigger the bird - the more flops it gets. The tops gets nice and browned and to be honest with you - my turkeys usually fall apart anyway by the end of the cooking process.

Back