Jun 13  # 1 of 1
9 servings

Hot Dog Buns
(ever so slightly adapted from King Arthur's recipe)
1 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (1 packet or 1/4 ounce)
1/4 cup warm water (105-110F)
1 cup warm milk (105-110F)
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp salt substitute
3-3 1/2 cups Bread flour No Sodium)
1 egg white (for egg wash)

In a bowl, combine sugar, yeast and warm water. Stir to dissolve and let set until bubbly, about 5 minutes. Add in milk, vegetable oil and salt substitute . With the mixer on a low speed with the dough hook attached, gradually add the flour. Once 3 cups have been incorporated, add the remaining flour a tablespoon at a time until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 2-4 minutes, until smooth and supple. The dough should be soft, but not sticky. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, 1-1 1/2 hours.

Shaping the dough:
Gently remove the dough from its bowl onto a floured surface. Flatten it slightly into a large rectangular log. Divide dough into thirds and divide each third into three equal pieces. Cover unworked dough with a clean dishtowel while shaping.
Gently flatten dough into a long rectangle. Fold left and right sides to meet in the center. Fold the top and bottom sides towards the center. Keep pinching the edges together, pulling the dough into a tight roll shape (Not that I'm advocating smoking - because I'm not and I don't - but it is similar to hand-rolling a cigarette. Except bigger. And dough). Repeat until you have 9 rolls.
Place hot dog buns on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover with a dishtowel. Let them rise for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400F.
Brush buns with egg white and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove to a rack to cool before slicing.