What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ridiculous!

B

Bacon Patrol

Some subway restaurants have taken upon themselves to ban pork products. Yes - Bacon, Ham and other pork products have been completely banned from their restaurants. Why? Because some of their customers are Islamic and apparently won't eat at subway unless it is 100% halal.
This is totally ridiculous!
I know many people who eat bacon on their subs on a regular basis, and they are up in arms about this - and one site, baconpatrol.com has even setup a petition which I recommend you consider signing on behalf of bacon lovers everywhere. If you don't stand up for your right to choose what you eat then this will be a precedent for the future.

>>This is totally ridiculous!

not really. depends on the customer base.

there are neighborhoods in pretty much any big city that are predominantly {pick a descriptor} and that _is_ the clientele.

I've been to areas in greater London where if you ain't Sikh, you ain't.
and I've been to areas in Brooklyn NYC where if you ain't Hasidic, you ain't.
not to mention "Chinatown" [anywhere USA]

goes with the turf of no sun setting on the empire . . . eh?

I think the simple key is respecting difference.

Americans sometimes are a bit too guilty of taking "team spirit" to the extreme.

I'm as patriotic as the next guy. But I consider no one beneath me. And some (many?) do.

Some subway restaurants have taken upon themselves to ban pork products. Yes - Bacon, Ham and other pork products have been completely banned from their restaurants. Why? Because some of their customers are Islamic and apparently won't eat at subway unless it is 100% halal.
This is totally ridiculous!
I know many people who eat bacon on their subs on a regular basis, and they are up in arms about this - and one site, baconpatrol.com has even setup a petition which I recommend you consider signing on behalf of bacon lovers everywhere. If you don't stand up for your right to choose what you eat then this will be a precedent for the future.
When I was on holiday in Egypt, I asked for egg & bacon for breakfast, I saw the waiters face & suddenly remembered where I was...oops they were not amused! I will sign the petition.

I thought in a Subway you had the opportunity to pick the type of sandwich you wanted, along with what went on it.

I don't understand. Is it the mere presence of pork products within a 2 block radius that is offensive or that they might get it in their meal by accident? And must I be deprived of a specific food choice just because someone else finds it offensive for whatever reason?

>>spam
well, perhaps not directly - but it is a 'position'

think about it - keeping strict Kosher is a splendid example (I'm not Jewish so don't go into orbit should I err here . . . )

requires separate utensils, serving ware, the whole sheeeshbang. it's a religious thing - not to be discussed here - but.... "And that's the way it is"

I've frequented Jewish deli shops with sit-in service - different color plates, separate kitchen, different flatware designs - all for the singular intent of keeping really strict - from just strict - to sorta' strict - to strict 'when it works' - from a large gentile group what demands their BLT

regardless of whether a particular food service business chooses to be politically / ethnically / religiously "correct" - if they ain't economically correct, that's a real world problem.

I have no problem with a shop 'outlawing' [whatever] because their customer base won't come through the front door elsewise.

how's it go...? when in Rome do as . . . .

my dear wife thinks lambs are just too cute and she refuses to eat lamb. she did have a problem in Greece . . . . how many people do you know that relish octopus as an alternative to lamb?

Last edited:
I used to work for Subway. Their cold cut is made of turkey meats (turkey ham, turkey bologna...) but their regular ham and bacon, to my knowledge, is real.
I've been to New York and have seen actual "Kosher" Subways so I dont think its so rediculas to have Subways all over America that catter to a certain (for lack of a better word)"type" of people.
I'm all for a Subway on every corner it might make consumers happy and make more money for the company...

Maybe Im just being a hippie but to each there own..

Maybe it's because I cooked for the public for eons- I don't know. But I don't understand the issue or difficulty of conforming to others' dietary needs or requests. Especially if you're a business trying to form a large customer base. It's no big deal. There are those who actually find unclean certain animal products that other populations readily consume. There are some who will consume any and all animal products- and others who will consume none at all. No one's diet is any more important or worthy than the next person's. If approached right- all can be accomodated. To those in any aspect of the food business relying on customers- this should be a complete non-issue. It's no different than catering to a customer who asks for "ranch on the side" or "no pickles, please.". Easy stuff.

Maybe it's because I cooked for the public for eons- I don't know. But I don't understand the issue or difficulty of conforming to others' dietary needs or requests. Especially if you're a business trying to form a large customer base. It's no big deal. There are those who actually find unclean certain animal products that other populations readily consume. There are some who will consume any and all animal products- and others who will consume none at all. No one's diet is any more important or worthy than the next person's. If approached right- all can be accomodated. To those in any aspect of the food business relying on customers- this should be a complete non-issue. It's no different than catering to a customer who asks for "ranch on the side" or "no pickles, please.". Easy stuff.

Got your point there, but as what Mr. Dilbert post in his quote:

>>spam
well, perhaps not directly - but it is a 'position'

think about it - keeping strict Kosher is a splendid example (I'm not Jewish so don't go into orbit should I err here . . . )

requires separate utensils, serving ware, the whole sheeeshbang. it's a religious thing - not to be discussed here - but.... "And that's the way it is"

I've frequented Jewish deli shops with sit-in service - different color plates, separate kitchen, different flatware designs - all for the singular intent of keeping really strict - from just strict - to sorta' strict - to strict 'when it works' - from a large gentile group what demands their BLT

regardless of whether a particular food service business chooses to be politically / ethnically / religiously "correct" - if they ain't economically correct, that's a real world problem.

I have no problem with a shop 'outlawing' [whatever] because their customer base won't come through the front door elsewise.

how's it go...? when in Rome do as . . . .

my dear wife thinks lambs are just too cute and she refuses to eat lamb. she did have a problem in Greece . . . . how many people do you know that relish octopus as an alternative to lamb?

There will be a lot of improvement to make if they ( Subway ) want to accommodate both parties.

Back