Sep 28  # 1 of 2
Pennsylvania Dutch Apple Crumb Pie

From my falling apart cookbook entitled Best-Loved Pennsylvania Dutch Recipes.
Simple ingredients, easy assembly and spectacular presentation.
When pressed for time, I have been known to substitute canned apple pie filling.
This also works well for Cherry Crumb Pie by using canned cherry filling plus 1/4 teaspoon
almond extract. A lifetime ago, on holidays, I was not allowed to enter my ex-inlaws house unless I had a Cherry Crumb Pie in my hands! ;) NOTE: If you use canned filling, just bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

1 (9 inch) pie crusts, unbaked
FILLING
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
5 cups apples, cored and sliced (about 5 small, Granny Smith apples work well)

1/2 cup raisins (optional)
TOPPING
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and set butter out so it will be at room temperature.
Line 9" pie pan with unbaked crust.
Core and slice apples.
Sprinkle the apples with the lemon juice.
Mix in the sugar & cinnamon.
Fill pie shell with apple mixture.
In a small bowl, mix the topping's flour, sugar and cinnamon.
Rub the topping ingredients and butter together with your fingers until the mixture is crumbly.
Sprinkle topping over pie.
Bake 10 minutes at 425 degrees then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake until crumb topping is browned and apples are soft, approximately 50 minutes.
Sep 28  # 2 of 2
Hey Janie,

I made this same exact pie today only using pears instead of apples, and no raisins. Yummy!!!

Goodness we did have a feast today: for Brunch: French Toast (made with homemade bread slices) & Bacon.

Tonight: BBQ Pork Ribs, black-eyed peas w/ okra boiled on top, baked sweet potatoes, beets from the garden, deviled eggs, homemade fresh loaf of bread!

I am so full and satisfied we went for a wlk and it's just lovely outside!:)