What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pie

Mama Mangia

Super Moderator
Cranberry Pecan Tassies

1/2 cup salted butter , softened
3 oz Cream Cheese , softened
1 cup white all purpose flour
1 eggs
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Salt, table, dash serving
1/3 cup Cranberries, fresh, chopped
3 tbsp chopped pecans

1 To make the pastry, beat butter and cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer. On medium to high speed, beat until the butter and cream cheese have combined, then stir in flour. Chill the pastry for 1 hour, if desired.
2 Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
3 Take the pastry and shape into 24 balls, then place the pastry balls in 1 3/4-inch ungreased muffin cups, pressing the pastry against the bottom and up the side of each muffin cup evenly.
4 To make the filling, beat together the egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a medium mixing bowl until the mixture is smooth, then stir in the cranberries and pecans. Once all the ingredients are mixed take the filling and spoon into the pastry-lined muffin cups.
5 Bake the pastry and filling for 30 to 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Cool on wire racks in muffin cups. Run a knife around the edges of the muffin cups to remove the tassies.

CRANBERRY SAUCE PIE

1 8 oz of cream cheese,softened
1 can of cranberry sauce (whole berry is nice)
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 8 oz. of Cool -Whip

With a hand mixer beat the cream cheese until smooth, add the cranberry
sauce and continue to beat with the mixer.

Add the can of milk then the cool whip.
Pour into graham cracker crust or pre-baked crust and chill for two hours.

This makes two pies.

Pumpkin Dutch Apple Pie

A candied layer of walnuts is broiled on top of the creamy pumpkin pie for an elegant version of this traditional holiday dessert.

1 9-inch deep-dish pie shell, unbaked
1 1/4 C coarsely chopped walnuts
3/4 C packed brown sugar
1 can (15 oz.) pure pumpkin
1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk
3/4 C granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
3 T butter, melted

Directions: PREHEAT oven to 425° F.

COMBINE walnuts and brown sugar in small bowl. Place 3/4 cup nut- sugar mixture on bottom of pie shell. Combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, granulated sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice and salt in medium bowl; mix well. Pour into pie shell.

BAKE for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

COMBINE butter and remaining nut-sugar mixture; stir until moistened. Sprinkle over cooled pie. Broil about 5 inches from heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbly. Cool before serving.

Pumpkin-Sweet Potato Pie

· 1 (29 oz.) can of pure pumpkin
· 1 30 oz. can of sweet potatoes or fresh-cooked and mashed
· 4 large eggs
· 2 cups evaporated milk, may use skim or low-fat
· 2 tbsp. cinnamon
· 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
· 1 tsp. nutmeg
· 3/4 brown sugar, may use Splenda
1/2 cup white sugar2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
· 1/4 cup maple syrup or Mrs.Buttersworth
· 4 deep-dish pie crusts, fresh, frozen, or ready-made
· Cool Whip, whipped topping, or vanilla ice cream

1: Mash sweet potatoes until smooth.
2: Mix sweet potatoes, pumpkin, milk, eggs sugar, syrup, spices, and vanilla extract until thick and smooth.
3: Pour into pie crust.
4: Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
5: Then turn down oven to 350 cook for additional 45 minutes or until set.
6: Cool completely.
7: Serve plain, or with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.

These all sound nice, mama! I particulalrly recognize the CRANBERRY SAUCE PIE as one that a co-worker used to make often this time of year up north at a work-camp I was at, and is it ever delicious!

Mama, don't slice that pie 'till I get there! I am on my

way. Put the coffee on, please. It's cold out there ;)

It's DANG cold out there! I'm not ready for the cold to be this cold so soon! Cripe - what happened to autumn??????? Sure was a short one this year............

(bah humbug)

Mama, I miss the Fall to. It's my favorite time of year. I Love all the Fall colors. Just think now we can all decorate for Christmas. :rolleyes: Your right it's really getting COLD!!! :eek: Cookie :)

It just seems that the fall colors this year didn't last long enough. Last year we had a very long fal and I loved it - it was so nice. Hopefully - since the winter weather is here so soon and so strong, sring will be here quicker! OH HOW I HOPE!

Winter!!

I wish we could have 3 seasons... and WINTER would not be one of them!! If we could only have 1 month of winter I would Love it. A white Christmas would be nice though. Cookie :)

Move to Phoenix Az~ You'll have these seasons: Spring (about 2 months)~ Summer ~ Hot Summer ~ Sort of Autumn~ oh yeah ... a day or two of Winter (?) so I guess in Phoenix we have 5 seasons :) Our fall colors are the same as Spring, Sumer and Hot Summer~ Brown

But WAIT........... There's more!!

You can drive north to Flagstaff (2 1/2 hr drive) and have a White Christmas

Seriously, I miss the crisp very cool Autumns of NJ and White Winters ~ I prefer the cold over the heat ~ the only good thing I can say is in Phoenix you are guaranteed 360 days of Blue Skies and Sunshine, a dry heat, so when its 118 in the summer no humidity.

I miss the rains in NJ ~ it's a holiday event if we get rain here :)

Your Funny, I like Az and at least it is a dry heat with Blue Skies, Sunshine!! 118 in Summer that's HOT!!

Chicago Winters can feel like a lifetime, you just can't wait until Spring!! Last Winter I took up snow removal as my exercise routine. When your moving around the cold is not so bad. The crisp air feels good as long as it's not that really cold wind blowing air, frost biting, that's Hell!

I just got my sweaters all washed and ready for Winter, put all my summer, stuff away. Thats another thing you have so many different clothing, shoes, boots ect... ect... when you live in a place with 4 seasons. If it were up to me I would be in flip flops year round!! Cookie :)

If it were up to me I would be in flip flops year round!! Cookie :)

Me too Cookie, me too!!! I love sandals and flip-flops and also hate clothing that is restrictive and binding; like winter clothes are :mad:

I was made for a Tropical Island almost made it by being born & raised in Miami, FL.

It's just that I HATE WINTER and everything associated with it INCLUDING SNOW:( I honestly can not stand the stuff, it causes nothing in my heart except disgust for the mess it makes!!! And all the myraid of leaves covering everything it's just slap ugly and a big old nusience!

Give me summer 24/7 and I am a happy soul!!!

I love sandals and flip-flops and also hate clothing that is restrictive and binding; like winter clothes are

well now - let's see - winter clothing........hmmmmmm

not really restricting - when its storming outside a pair of thick twister socks, a pair of sweats and a tee under a big baggy sweatshirt is very comfy! a nice book, or a good movie, a mug of hot chocolate and a fuzzy throw to curl up on the couch with while watching big beautiful flakes falling from the sky!

and then of course - the down side - don't watch them fall for too long - we've gotten 14 feet of snow in less than 24 hours at times!

and your shovel is your best friend.............

then it's back into the house for hot chocolate, and a couple more blankets! LOL

That's Cute 24/7 Summer all the time!! I Love that idea. I think you were very Lucky to be born and raised in a SUN SHINE STATE!! Cookie :)

It sounds SO weird 'cause folks say it all the time, but if you experience time in a place w/ NO HUMIDITY, weather is completely diff'rent. I grew up in and now live again in the mid-west where we "enjoy" 80-100% humidty which makes for unbearably hot/sticky summers and bone-chilling, DEEP-COLD winters- which BOTH are awful. (BEAUTIFUL Falls and Springs, though!)

As far as Alaska, of course most folks who've never been there, FEAR and TREMBLE at the very thought- but since there's NO HUMIDITY even 30 below zero doesn't feel as cold as 20 degrees in Illinois does! It's really weird. To me, Alaska summers (80-90) and even Alaska winters are PERFECT, 'cause there simply is no humidity! I've NEVER felt anything colder than a midwestern winter, and never felt anything more unbearably HOT than a heartland or southern summer. Both are yuchy to my taste. Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Alaska? HEAVEN on earth!

right now Mama is in Siberia - it's so windy and cold! what a difference a day makes! and we get blasted here!

Back