Mar 15  # 1 of 6
Hi,
I love having this dish called jerk chicken at the jamaican/carribean restaurants here. Does anyone have the recipe?
It tastes so good and spicy!
Mar 15  # 2 of 6
Well, I don't have a recipe for you but found some information on the net. Just pasting it for you.

Jerk is a style of cooking native to Jamaica in which meats (traditionally pork, but now including chicken, fish, tofu) are dry-rubbed with a fiery spice mixture (called Jamaican jerk spice) and then cooked in a pit, on a grill or on an open fire (an oven will do in a pinch). Jerk refers to the technique, the spice mixture, and the finished product. The jerk seasoning relies upon a few typical items: Allspice (Jamaican pepper, Jamaican pimento) and habanero or Scotch bonnet peppers being the most common basic ingredients. Cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme and other ingredients are often added. It is now possible to find pre-made jerk seasoning mixes.
Mar 15  # 3 of 6
Quote honeylemon wrote:
Well, I don't have a recipe for you but found some information on the net. Just pasting it for you.

Jerk is a style of cooking native to Jamaica in which meats (traditionally pork, but now including chicken, fish, tofu) are dry-rubbed with a fiery spice mixture (called Jamaican jerk spice) and then cooked in a pit, on a grill or on an open fire (an oven will do in a pinch). Jerk refers to the technique, the spice mixture, and the finished product. The jerk seasoning relies upon a few typical items: Allspice (Jamaican pepper, Jamaican pimento) and habanero or Scotch bonnet peppers being the most common basic ingredients. Cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme and other ingredients are often added. It is now possible to find pre-made jerk seasoning mixes.

It is now possible to find pre-made jerk seasoning mixes....where??
I usually don't see them at the stores. I am in the East Coast. Where should I look for them?
Mar 15  # 4 of 6
1 tbsp. ground allspice
1 tbsp. dried leaf thyme
1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. ground sage
3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. soy sauce
3/4 c. white vinegar
1/2 c. orange juice
1/4 c. fresh lime juice
1 Scotch Bonnet pepper
1 c. finely chopped white onion
3 green onions, finely chopped
4 (6-8 oz.) whole chicken breasts, skinned and boned

In medium sized bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients including the sugar. Mixing with wire whisk, slowly add olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, orange and lime juices. Use rubber or plastic gloves to prepare hot pepper (jalapeno or serrano may be substituted). Avoid touching face or eyes! Add chopped pepper and chopped onions to marinade; mix well.

Spread 2 cups marinade in glass baking dish. Add chicken to coat in marinade. Cover and marinade at least 1 hour (overnight is best). Reserve 3/4 cup of marinade as a dipping sauce. On grill, cook chicken over medium to high heat 6 minutes each side. Baste with excess drained marinade.

Heat reserved marinade that has not touched chicken. Serve as a dipping sauce.
Mar 15  # 5 of 6
Jamaican recipe for Jerk chicken

4 scallions
2 cloves garlic
2 jalapeno peppers
2 limes
1 tsp. allspice
3 tbsp. oil
Salt & pepper
8 chicken thighs, about 2 1/2 lb.

Mince scallions, garlic and pepper; put in a large bowl. Squeeze 3 tablespoons juice from limes and add to the bowl with the allspice, oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Put chicken in bowl, turn to coat and marinate 30 minutes.

Heat broiler. Put chicken on broiling pan, reserving marinade. Broil the chicken 4-6 inches from the heat source, basting it occasionally with reserved marinade, until browned and cooked through, about 30 minutes.