Oct 11  # 1 of 3
Cornish Hens and Rice

1 box Uncle Ben's rice
4 Cornish Hens-I used 2 Cornish Hens for just the two of us..**BE SURE TO READ NOTE BELOW
1/2 cup butter-melted
Garlic Salt
Cayenne Red Pepper
Pepper
Garlic cloves, minced
Sliced mushrooms
Chopped Onions

Preheat oven to 375. Cook Uncle Bens rice according to package directions. One package stuffs 4 birds.

Rinse hens and dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle garlic salt, cayenne red pepper and pepper over the hens-inside and out. Spray baking dish with Pam No-Stick Cooking Spray-Original. Put sliced mushrooms on bottom of roasting pan and put the hens on top. Sprinkle the hens with garlic salt, cayenne red pepper and pepper over the hens-inside and out. I didn't measure...I just went by looks and how much salt and pepepr we like. Spoon the rice in hens and then pour melted butter over the hens. Put garlic and onions around the hens and put some on top. Loosely cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for a half hour. Remove the foil and continue baking for 1-1/2 hours.

**Don't worry about the remaining rice drying out since you can't put all the rice in the hens- if using 2 hens. The rice turns out wonderul-the butter drops down into it and gives the rice a great flavor. One box of rice will fill up 4 cornish hens..but.. I am just going to keep making the 2 hens and put the rice around it. The rice is super good that way and I highly recommend doing it that way. I have made it both ways..2 and 4 hens and we liked using 2 hens to 1 box of rice the most.
Oct 11  # 2 of 3
Just curious, how do the mushrooms turn out? I would think that cooking for so long would turn them into mush?
Oct 11  # 3 of 3
The mushrooms don't turn out like mush...we like to use fresh sliced mushrooms.