Aug 13  # 1 of 18
I went out to feed the "Girls" and 2 remaining "Boys" (the ones who have nice manners and weren't made into Pot Pie) and lo and behold.... there was a beautiful little brown egg laying right beside their water container:)

Now this past weekend I bought a fake Plaster Egg and put it into their nesting box to try and give them a subtle "Hint". Every little tourist shop in Renfroe Valley sells these fake eggs, I guess folks like to buy them for ornamental purposes, but I was tickeled to find one to use for my "Greater Purpose"! Appears it worked Yee-Hawwwwww nothing like fresh eggs:)
Aug 13  # 2 of 18
Congratulations ! thats great... what kind of Chicks do you have ?.....I can't wait till my hens start laying....they are almost 5 months old so they should be starting soon....How old are your hens ?
Aug 13  # 3 of 18
I'm surprised the two roosters don't fight.. Congrats on the eggs. If we didn't get 10 feet of snow here in the winter, I might consider getting some, I am just afraid they would be poultrycicles by January.
Aug 13  # 4 of 18
Ok - so tell us - what are you making with your one egg??? maybe a frittatta for us all to enjoy??? Or deluxe egg salad sandwiches for us all???? How about pickled eggs??? Or are you just going to bronze it and engrave the date on it???

BTW - congrats! I know you will get many more!

We'll get the egg recipes ready for ya!
Aug 13  # 5 of 18
Thanks Francie & Jafo!

My hens are almost exactly 5 months old - we purchased them as 1-2 day old biddies on St. Patrick's Day March 17th!!! We have in the Hen category 1: Rhode Island Red 2: Plymouth Rocks 1: Araucana (georgeous little thing) 1: Buff Orphington and 1: Solid Black Astralorps with pretty iriquois green hues when the light reflects off her feathers! Then we have 2Buff Orphington Roosters. The Buff Orphington's are very gentle in nature and docile they are rather large bodied chickens and I now love going out there these big old docile birds just cluck and seem very happy to see me!

The other Roosters were mean as could be and threatening to spur me every time I entered the coup, boy did they make good Pot-Pie though:D
With those 4 bully Roosters gone our hen house is very serene;)

Jafo I believe on a train trip I once made from NY City to Long Island NY we passed through a place where there were many chicken farms, they were Rhode Island Red's, I guess they just have to keep them in a heated coup? Could you not do something similar? By the way I think I may have lost that bet, want to give ole' Molly another day or so before we procliam you the winner? I am going to get you a fabulous recipe if you win!?!;)