May 24  # 1 of 5
Category:Barbecue & Grilling
Description:
I developed this recipe themed after a Sweet and Sour Chinese dish but wanted it for the grill. It turned out to be such a hit. The recipe starts with making a crispy batter dipped fried chicken, next a home made sweet and sour type barbecue sauce for a glaze and then fresh fruit and vegetables with the fried chicken on the skewers, grill glazed to perfection.

Ingredients:
For the crispy chicken Batter.
2 boneless chicken breast cut into 1" pieces.
1/2 cup of cornstarch.
2 egg whites.
1/2 cup of water.
1 tablespoon of Lite Soy Sauce.
1/2 teaspoon of powdered ginger
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.
salt and pepper to taste.
1 cup of oil for frying.

Home made Sweet and Sour BBQ Sauce,
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of Catsup
1/4 cup of vinegar
1 cup of pineapple juice
2 clove of fresh minced garlic
1 teaspoon of fresh minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
1/2 cup of finely minced onion
1/2 cup of finely minced bell pepper.
1/2 teaspoon of salt
a dash or 2 of hot red pepper flakes.

For assembly,
1 pineapple cut into 1' chunks
1 green bell pepper cut into 1" pieces
1 red sweet pepper cut into 1" pieces
16 cocktail sized cherry tomatoes ( around an 1" to 1 1/4" Diameter.

Directions:
Start Coals for grill.

Combine all the ingredients for the batter and mix really well. Add the cubes of chicken and allow to marinate in the batter for about 15 minutes.

Combine all the ingredients for the Home made BBQ sauce in a 1 quart sauce pan. While stirring, bring the mixture to a boil After sugar has dissolved, lower the heat to a simmer and reduce down to a sauce consistency. Remove from heat. It takes about 10-15 minutes to reduce.

In a cast iron skillet heat the oil over medium high heat. Fry about 8 pieces of the chicken at time. Once a side has browned turn it. It takes a total of about 3 minutes to fry each batch and there will be 3 batches.

Assembly,
You will need 6 metal or 6 pre-soaked Kabob skewers.
Start with a piece of chicken, second a chunk of pineapple, third a piece of both colored peppers, 4th a tomato. Repeat 3 times finishing with a piece of chicken. I try to keep all the items going onto the skewer close together so that when grilling it's easy to turn them while glazing and every item stays on the skewer.

As assembling, set the kabobs on a sheet pan for transportation.
Set the coals if using evenly to produce high heat. If using gas, set to high heat. Brush clean grates with oil to prevent sticking.
While still on the sheet pan brush Sauce onto the tops of the Kabobs. Put the Kabobs onto the grill sauce side down. Brush the tops with sauce. Do not walk away, flip, glaze, flip glaze. Build the glaze up and keep turning carefully. You don't want the Kabobs to stick. When the glaze is to your liking remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy, IC
May 24  # 2 of 5
These sound wonderful! Thank you for posting the recipe! I love the fresh ingredients used:p
May 24  # 3 of 5
These sound yummy.
May 26  # 4 of 5
I am definitely wanting to try this recipe with a general Tao's type of sauce for something a bit more spicy.
May 26  # 5 of 5
Oh I bet that would be good!