Oct 10  # 1 of 10
Ricks post on "Chicken Noodle Cassarole (If I misspell it please correct me) made me want to come up with a skillet chicken casserole using thickened chicken broth with yellow squash, onions and bell peppers or whatever I can find in the produce department, that I could make in the oven or even on my gas grill. I even bake potatoes on that grill. It can maintain 350 or 400 degrees fairly easy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you've followed any of my previous post you know I am probably looking for fairly low sodium but I can alter most recipes. I am usually looking for smaller portions like maybe in an 8" skillet since my family doesn't eat any of my low sodium recipes. Thanks guys.
Oct 10  # 2 of 10
gee jp - skillet casseroles are so good - and I'm not one who measures and I also tend to make too much - which can be a good thing - it can be frozen in a foil pouch or in a foil tin and then placed ont he grill to re-heat - sometimes it's nice to have a timesaver like that on hand

Is there any way you can use this recipe for creamed soup mix - with possible substitutions of low-sodium bouillon, etc.?

2 c. instant non-fat dry milk
2 tbsp. onion flakes
1 tsp. basil and thyme
1/4 c. chicken bouillon
3/4 c. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. pepper

To reconstitute for one can soup add 1/3 cup mix with 1 1/4 cup water. You can add celery or broccoli for cream of celery soup same for mushroom soup. Heat until thick as soup. Makes 3 cups or 9 cans soups. Mix thoroughly and store in cool dry place.

Mix up a "can" of that and pour over 8 oz. egg noodles (or equivalent) and add any fresh veggies you want.

????
Oct 10  # 3 of 10
also - can you adapt this for your own Kitchen bouquet?

1/2 C. brown sugar
2 C. water

Put brown sugar in a pan on low heat and let it burn or parch, slowly stirring all the time. When it turns a dark brown, add water, stirring well. Store in glass bottle or small jar. Adds color & Thickens gravy.
Oct 10  # 4 of 10
Jp how about a nice dutch oven type casserole ? Maybe even something with biscuits baked on top sort of like dumplings :)
Oct 10  # 5 of 10
Yes Rick I have a cast iron dutch oven with lid but it would make a LOT of casserole.

Mama, was that 1/4 cup of chicken bouillon dry? My sodium free chicken bouilon only come in 2.6 oz jars or 1 tsp packets. If that is 1/4 cup liquid we may have a go since 1 tsp is used to make 1 cup broth. I was thinking of just using flour (like of Ricks post) or cornstarch to thicken 1 or 2 cups broth before adding everything else and baking it.