Mar 21  # 1 of 4
Firecracker Chicken

1/2 cup sliced pickled banana peppers, finely chopped, plus 1/4 cup pickling liquid
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup yellow mustard
3 TB dry mustard
2 TB chili sauce
2 TB brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, minced
4 scallions, thinly sliced

Chicken
6 (about 2-1/2 lb.) chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless, cut into strips
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 TB table salt
1 tsp. baking powder
4 large egg whites
1 cup vegetable oil

1. For the sauce: Whisk ingredients together in large bowl.

2. For the chicken: Cover chicken breasts with plastic wrap and pound lightly with meat mallet until about 1/2 inch thick. Slice breasts in half lengthwise and transfer to large zipper-lock storage bag.
Add 1/4 cup Firecracker Sauce to bag, seal, and gently squeeze bag to coat chicken with sauce. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.

3. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder. Add 6 tablespoons Firecracker Sauce and, combine until mixture resembles coarse, wet sand.

4. In another large bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Working with one strip at a time, dip chicken in egg whites and transfer to flour mixture, pressing lightly to adhere. Place chicken pieces on wire rack set on rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate 15 minutes (or up to 4 hours).

5. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200º F. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Carefully place half of chicken strips in oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to baking sheet lined with paper towels and place in warm oven. Repeat with remaining chicken strips. Transfer chicken to platter, drizzle with remaining sauce, and serve.

Serves: 4.
May 3  # 2 of 4
I've only just joined and already I've found exactly my kind of recipe. Thank you.
May 3  # 3 of 4
You're welcomed! Enjoy!
May 3  # 4 of 4
All this talk of spice and wine has me replacing my current avatar w/ a pic of Cajun cook Justin Wilson! Remember him? I'm behind on the left (years ago- when I still had hair!) Justin was a big man- very tall. Can't tell here really because several of us were standing on a step, but he actually towered over all of us!