Jul 16  # 1 of 24
I've been researching Thousand Island dressing. Won't bore you with it's interesting history, except to point out that it's considered to be a variation of Russian dressing, that uses mayo instead of yogurt.

Despite the seeming ubiquitousness of Ranch dressing, and the hopes of the folks at Hidden Valley, Thousand Island remains the most popular salad dressing in America.

There are hundreds of versions (mine appears below). Now comes the all-knowing Alton Brown, whose "my way or the highway" attitude about food has always bugged me. In his version (which is, of course, the only correct one---just ask him, he'll tell you) the dressing is made out of yogurt.

Well, Mr. Brown, if you use yogurt as the base you have a Russian dressing, not Thousand Island. It's the fundemental difference between them.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Thousand Island Dressing

2 cups mayonnaise (preferably homemade, but Hellman's will do)
3 tbls tomato paste
2 tbls Worchestershire
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup onion, diced small
1/4-1/4 cup sweet pickle relish.
1 hard cooked egg, diced
Black pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Jul 16  # 2 of 24
Most of the chefs/cooks on TFN are pretty full of themselves.
Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Jul 16  # 3 of 24
If you don't have sweet pickle relish handy, Janie, just take some of those sweet spears you made and chop them up. It'll work just fine.
Jul 16  # 4 of 24
I've made truckloads of 1000 using any number of recipes and NEVER have I made it using yogurt. (I have made it ONCE before though using RAW eggs. DON'T ASK!)

Alton Brown? Maybe run it by CanMan and get his take on it, since he prides himself on speaking nurd-lish Hee-Hee! (Joke, CanMan!).
Jul 16  # 5 of 24
My very point, Kevin. There are a lot of great salad dressings based on yogurt. Also on sour cream, and buttermilk, and a host of the usual suspects.

The very concept of Thousand Island, though, is it's mayonaisse base. One of many historical culinary facts that escapes Alton's attention.

BTW, if anyone is interested, the original recipe is again being bottled, near its originating location. They only do about 5,000 bottles a year, though. And, apprently, they go real quick.