Nov 10  # 1 of 4
Mama I've had a hankerin for pickled peppers. I had an aunt who pickled peppers every year, as usual I enjoyed them so much and just took them for granted every time we had antipasto. I never learned how to make them. :o
Nov 10  # 2 of 4
I have several recipes - take a look at these to start with and tell me how close I am:

* 5 pounds tomatoes
* 1 pound green peppers
* 1/3 pound jalapenos
* 1 pound onions
* 1 cup 5% vinegar
* 3 teaspoons salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper

(6 - 8 pints)

Stem and seed peppers and jalapenos. Chop peppers. Peel and chop onions. Peel and coarsely chop tomatoes (drain). Combine ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Fill jars, (pints) leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process for 20 minutes in a waterbath canner. (for a milder salsa, or to adjust for differences in peppers, a mixture of hot and mild peppers may be used). Straight Jalapeno, (fairly hot) or with straight Anaheims (Mild).

Use instead of canned tomatoes in hot dishes, swiss steak, soups, etc.

In a clean steralized jar place:
* 1 teaspoon olive oil...
* 1 teaspoon oregano...
* 1 toe of garlic that has been sliced in half...
* We add baby carrots and onions too...

then pack your peppers with the onion and carrots in the jars... to 3/4 full. (peppers expand with the hot water bath) pour your ... boiling brine over the peppers within 1/2 inch of the top... Seal by hot water bath method for 20 minutes. Let the jars sit on... a shelf for at lease 2 weeks for the best flavor...
Brine...
* 1 1/2 quarts water....(about 6 cups)...
* 2 cups white vinegar...
* 1/2 cup pickeling salt...

mix above and bring to a boil... HINT: the peppers are easier to pack when you place them in... boiling water for 1 minute... Make sure the peppers are free ... from bruises...

* 4 lbs firm peppers*
* 1 cup bottled lemon juice
* 2 cups white vinegar (5 percent)
* 1 tbsp oregano leaves
* 1 cup olive or salad oil
* 1/2 cup chopped onions
* 2 cloves garlic, quartered (optional)
* 2 tbsp prepared horseradish (optional)

Procedure:
Select your favorite pepper.
Caution: If you select hot peppers, wear rubber or plastic gloves while handling them or wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face.
Peppers may be left whole. Large peppers may be quartered. Wash, slash two to four slits in each pepper, and blanch in boiling water or blister in order to peel tough-skinned hot peppers.

Peppers may be blistered using one of the following methods: Oven or broiler method: Place peppers in a hot oven (400 degrees F) or broiler for 6-8 minutes or until skins blister. Range-top method: Cover hot burner, either gas or electric, with heavy wire mesh. Place peppers on burner for several minutes until skins blister.

Allow peppers to cool. Place in pan and cover with a damp cloth. This will make peeling the peppers easier. After several minutes of cooling, peel each pepper. Flatten whole peppers. Mix all remaining ingredients in a saucepan and heat to boiling. Place 1/4 garlic clove (optional) and 1/4 teaspoon salt in each half pint or 1/2 teaspoon per pint. Fill jars with peppers, add hot, well-mixed oil/pickling solution over peppers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Yield: About 9 half-pints.
*Note: It is possible to adjust the intensity of pickled jalapeno peppers by using all hot jalapeno peppers (hot style), or blending with sweet and mild peppers (medium or mild style).
For hot style: Use 4 lbs jalapeno peppers.
For medium style: Use 2 lbs jalapeno peppers and 2 lbs sweet and mild peppers.
For mild style: Use 1 lb jalapeno peppers and 3 lbs sweet and mild peppers
Nov 10  # 3 of 4
I think the bottom one is closest. She used green bell peppers and I don't remember seeing anything in the jars except the peppers. I do seem to remember a hint of garlic taste to them
Nov 10  # 4 of 4
She also may have minced the onions quite finely - because they do compliment it. Let me know how close it is. Italian women have a way of sneaking things in!