Apr 21  # 1 of 6
I started making my own mayonnaise at home (using olive oil) so that I could use it as the main ingredient in my own ranch dressing that is olive oil based. I'm seeking the flavor of Ranch Dressing with the health benefits of olive oil - rather than soybean oil based like all store bought varieties are.

The problem is that Olive Oil has a very overpowering taste (compared to the bland soybean oil used in most every ranch recipe).

Because of this, I can't get the mayonnaise/ranch to taste anything at all like store bought stuff.

My primary concern here was incorporating the healthiness of Olive Oil into by diet while simultaneously removing the bad omega-6 rich soybean oil. I will not sacrifice health for taste, but it sure would be nice to make something that tastes more like that yummy chemical-concoction I buy at the stores ;)

Any "less powerfully flavored" replacements for olive oil that are still super healthy? I've never heard of any. It's always "olive oil this" and "olive oil that"
Apr 21  # 2 of 6
hopefully you are not using extra virgin olive oil, as that usually has a stronger flavor than just virgin.

as to which oil is best for health I suspect you'll get some debate on that as there are so many viewpoints.

rice brand oil is often touted as 'super healthy'
Apr 21  # 3 of 6
I don't use olive oil from the first pressing - it's too overpowering and doesn't do justice to foods.

OldFashionedHomeCooking: Know your oils..............

OldFashionedHomeCooking: SMOKE POINTS OF OIL
Apr 21  # 4 of 6
I would consider Grape Seed Oil.
Apr 21  # 5 of 6
Quote Dilbert wrote:
hopefully you are not using extra virgin olive oil, as that usually has a stronger flavor than just virgin.

Yeah, I was.
Quote dilbert wrote:
rice brand oil is often touted as 'super healthy'

"By Rice Brand" I assume you meant "Rice Bran"? I googled the 1st phrase, got nothing. Googled the 2nd, got a bunch of stuff. I took a look at the fatty-acid profile make up of rice bran oil - not bad - but not impressive either. Appreciate the alternative suggestions though
Quote Mama Mangia wrote:
I don't use olive oil from the first pressing - it's too overpowering and doesn't do justice to foods.

Thanks - I'll take a look at those links, especially the 1st. I wont be cooking with this oil though, so its smoke point is irrelevant. However, that link will help me find a new oil to cook with. I just recently discovered that olive oil smokes pretty quickly - which I guess is dangerous in some way?