Apr 23  # 1 of 1
This recipe I came acrss today, made it for dinner tonight and Oh My Goodness is it ever a taste treat!!! I omitted the radishes, substituted the cotija cheese with Feta cheese, and roasted Sunflower seeds for the Pumpkin seeds. A truly magnificant dish! The fresh Jicama is so crisp and crunchy they remind me of waterchestnuts only BETTER! Jicama is found in Mexican markets and looks like a fat squatty oval potato.

Here is the link:
Spicy Avocado Poblano Salad Recipe - MyRecipes.com

Ingredients
4 medium poblano chiles (about 12 oz. total)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon honey
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
3 tablespoons avocado, safflower, or canola oil
2 firm-ripe large avocados
8 ounces jicama, peeled and sliced in thin half-moons
1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
4 radishes, cut into matchsticks
Preparation
1. Preheat oven to broil and set rack 4 in. from heat. Broil poblanos in a rimmed baking pan, turning as needed, until blackened all over, 10 minutes. Let sit on pan until skins are loosened, 15 to 20 minutes.

2. Whisk together 1 tbsp. lime juice, the salt, honey, cayenne, and oil.

3. Pit and peel avocados (see "How to Get the Most from Your Avocado," below). Lay each avocado half cut side down, rest your hand gently on top, and slide knife through avocado horizontally to make 1/4-in.-thick slices. Drizzle with remaining lime juice.

4. Skin, stem, and seed poblanos. Cut into irregular 1- to 2-in. pieces.

5. On each of 4 plates, arrange alternating layers of poblano pieces, avocado slices, and jicama; drizzle with some dressing. Add another layer of poblanos and avocados, drizzle with more dressing, and tuck remaining jicama slices into salads from the side. Sprinkle with cheese, pumpkin seeds, and radishes.

How to get the most from your avocado: flavor and beauty.

1. Use it when it's just ripe. How to tell? Squeeze it with your whole hand; it should have the same "give" as chilled butter.

2. Preserve the tastiest part, the dark green layer under the skin. First, remove the pit: Cut lengthwise around the middle to the center and twist halves apart. Thunk a chef's knife into pit and twist to pull out. To get pit off, slide against inner rim of kitchen sink. If you're mashing the avocado, scrape it out with a spoon. If you want beautiful, perfect slices and dice, score skin down center with a paring knife and carefully pull off peel.

Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.

Nutritional Information
Calories:327 (74% from fat)
Protein:5.5g
Fat:27g (sat 4.4)
Carbohydrate:20g
Fiber:6.1g
Sodium:397mg
Cholesterol:4mg
Sunset, APRIL 2009