What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy Pie Crust Recipe Wanted!

cookie

:) Does any one have an easy basic pie crust and quiche recipe. It would be most appreciated. I always buy you know the ready gram pie crust.:rolleyes: Cookie

Most Incredible No Fail Pie Crust

This is absolutely the best pie crust I have ever used. It never fails me and always comes out flaky and perfect. This recipe is enough for 2 - 9" crusts.

2 9-inch pie crusts
3 cups flour
1 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, beaten
5 tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon vinegar

Cut together flour, shortening and salt until it resembles small peas.
Combine the egg, water and vinegar and gradually add to flour mixture.
Stir just until moistened and a soft dough forms.
Divide into 2 disks.
Wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
Roll out and use with your favorite pie recipe!

Cookie,

Janie's recipe looks great. At first, to some, vinegar looks like a weird ingredient to add to pie pastry- but I promise- as I'm sure janie does too- it will make a crust flakier than any without it!

Also- 2 quick hints for an awesome quiche crust (perhaps u know these things already- disregard, if so!):

1.) At least partially, if not fully, "blind-bake" crusts that custards will go into for a more fully-cooked taste. Custard pies (quiches, pecan pie) tend to result in wetter crusts, due to the liquid eggs/milk that you pour into them easily soaking into the the raw flour pastry, and they often don't bake thoroughly, so this step helps to ensure optimum results. (To "blind-bake" a crust, place parchment, wax-paper or foil into the raw shell and fill w/ uncooked rice, or dry beans or special weight-chain made specifically for this purpose- to weigh down the pastry and keep it in shape- bake at aleast half-way, then carefully lift foil and weight-medium from pastry and proceed with recipe.)
2.) When layering quiche ingredients into a prepared shell, lay cheese directly onto the crust, followed fillings, then custard last. When placed into a hot oven, the cheese melts and creates sort of a sealing layer between the crust and the wet custard and helps prevent crust from absorbing the liquid and becoming soggy.

:) Does any one have an easy basic pie crust and quiche recipe. It would be most appreciated. I always buy you know the ready gram pie crust.:rolleyes: Cookie

Oh how I love you guys!

I turn on the old puter and there is a new post under SAUCES for pie crust! Okay you guys - I know I put sauce on just about everything - but this is really stretching it a bit! LOL

Awwww Cookie - I'm just teasin' -

Hope this helps -

Amish Pat in Pan Pie Crust

1 1/2 cups Flour
3 tablespoons Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
3 tablespoons Cold milk

Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the pie pan and mix with your fingers until blended.
In a measuring cup, combine the oil and milk and beat with a fork until creamy.
Pour all at once over the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the flour mixture
is completely moistened. Pat the dough with your fingers,
first up the sides of the pie plate, the across the bottom.
Flute the edges. Makes one single crust 8 or 9-inch pie.
NO ROLLING AND NO REFRIGERATING!

Great for single crust pies, tarts, crumb topped pies, etc.

Almond Pie Crust

1 3/4 cups Toasted almonds -- blanched
3 tablespoons Unsalted butter -- melted
2 tablespoons White corn syrup

Coarsely chop almonds and stir in the melted butter.
Add corn syrup. Spoon into a 9-inch buttered pie plate.
Press onto bottom and up sides of plate.

Nut-Crumb Crust

1 (8-inch) springform pan crust

2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg

Mix together all ingredients.

Sprinkle half the crumb mixture on bottom of an 8-inch springform pan. Turn a pie filling or cheesecake mixture into the pan and sprinkle with remaining crumbs.

Pastry Info

When pastry is rolled too thin;

- it absorbs juices easily
- it may not brown well
- top crust softens when pie cools
- crust breaks easily.

When pastry is rolled too thick;

- it may not bake thoroughly.

When pastry is not properly fitted;

- it may not brown evenly on bottom
- air under crust causes bubbles, making crust uneven
- it may shrink during baking if stretched too much
- edge may become too brown if pastry is too far above pan.

Filling

When too much filling is used;

- juice may cook out into oven
- filling may not be thoroughly cooked

When too much sugar is used;

- it may be too sweet
- it may be too syrupy, possibly cooking out into oven

When too much thickening is used;

- filling may be pasty

When not enough filling is used;

- pie may be uneven in shape, lower in center than at sides

When not enough sugar is used;

- filling may be sour
- may be too thin to serve nicely

When not enough thickening is used;

- filling may be too juicy
- crust may soak
- pie is hard to serve.

** Always make open slits on your top crust before baking to let steam escape during cooking. This will also help prevent fruit pies from spilling over from sides.

Walnut Crust

1-1/2 cups very finely chopped walnuts (food processor works well)
3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup of butter, melted

Crust: Mix crust ingredients. Form in large pie plate with hands. Bake in 350-degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool.

MERINGUE CRUST:
Stir together 1/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons finely ground blanched almonds and 2 tablespoons cornstarch in small bowl.
Beat 2 egg whites until foamy in small bowl with mixer at high speed. Add 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1/16 teaspoon salt. Continue beating until soft peaks form.
Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in almond mixture. Spread mixture onto bottom and sides of a well greased 9 inch pie plate, building up sides to form a shell. Bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour. Turn off heat.
Leave meringue in oven with door closed for 1 hour or overnight. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack. Makes 1 pie shell.

PASTRY FOR FRIED PIES

2 c. flour
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 tsp. soda
1/4 tsp. salt

In a medium bowl put flour; make a well in the center. Combine buttermilk, soda, and salt. Pour into well; add shortening and mix until mixture has absorbed enough flour to make a roll (all the flour might not be used). Place on floured board. Roll a small portion to about 1/8 inch thick. Put 2 tablespoons of fruit on 1/2 of cut out dough. Moisten all edges and fold in half. Press around edges with a fork to seal. Pierce 3 times with a fork on top of pie. Lift into hot oil with a pancake turner. When pie comes to the top, turn and cook about 1 minute or until brown. Do not over cook as pies will continue to brown after removing from oil. Stand on folded edges to drain on paper towel.

BUTTERMILK PASTRY (FOR FRIED PIES)

3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. soda
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/3 c. shortening
1 egg
1 c. buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in shortening, add egg and buttermilk. Knead until smooth.

and lastly - Crumb Crusts

-----GRAHAM CRACKERS (ABOUT 16-----
1/3 cup Margarine
1/3 cup Butter
1 1/3 cups Graham crackers Crumbs
1/4 cup Sugar
-----VANILLA WAFERS(ABOUT 24 2-----
1/4 cup Margarine -- -=OR=-
1/4 cup Butter
1 1/3 cups Vanilla wafers Crumbs
-----CHOCOLATE WAFERS(18 2-1/4-----
1/3 cup Margarine -- -=OR=-
1/3 cup Butter
1 1/3 cups Chocolate wafers Crumbs
-----GINGERSNAPS (ABOUT 20 2-----
1/3 cup Margarine -- -=OR=-
1/3 cup Butter
1 1/3 cups Gingersnaps crumbs
-----ZWIEBACK-----
6 tablespoons Margarine -- -=OR=-
6 tablespoons Butter
1 1/3 cups Zwieback crumbs
1/4 cup Sugar
-----CEREAL FLAKES (ABOUT 4 CUPS-----
1/2 cup Margarine
1/2 cup Butter
1 1/3 cups Corn Cereal flakes -- -=OR=-
1 1/3 cups Wheat cereal flakes
1/4 cup Sugar

Let butter or margarine soften.
Place a long length of waxed paper on pastry board; stack crackers,
or pour cereal, down center. Make double fold in paper; tuck ends under.
Gently roll fine with rolling pin. In a 2 cup measuring cup, mix 1-1/3 cups
of crumbs, sugar, and butter with fork until crumbly.
Set aside 3 tablespoons (optional). With the back of spoon,
press rest to bottom and sides of 9" pie plate, forming small rim

. Bake at 375 F. for 8 minutes. Cool; fill; top with reserved crumbs.

Also - check out the pie recipes for more crust recipes including impossible pie recipes.

I hope this helps.

Mama

Thanks for all the great pie crust recipe's. They all look so good. I want to make some fruit pie this fall. This will help thanks, Cookie :)

:)Thank you for all those recipes Mama. I copied all of them. Thanks again for sharing. Cookie :)

I never make my own pie crust. Never mastered that technique. But I may try again using some of your recipes Mama. When I make friend apple pies I useually use canned biscuits and roll em out.

The easiest and least stressing of the pie crust recipes that are out there are the no-roll crust recipes. Many screw up the rolling out of the dough causing tough crusts. That is a turn off when making pies. The no-roll crust is very simple. I gave the recipe to a friend who had trouble with crusts - she made the bottom crust and pat it in the pan; made a second crust; filled her crust withe cherries and instead of trying to make lattice - she dropped pieces on the top leaving spaces. It didn't look like lattice - but she said it was delicious!

If you want - let me know what goes wrong with your crust and I will try to help you with it.

Mama

I'm going to try the first Amish pie crust recipe you do not have to roll out. The almond pie crust sounds good. I love any thing with almonds it's so good. I will let you know how it goes. Cookie :)

I swear by the Crisco pie crust recipe

Just add a couple pats of cold butter to the recipe as it reads. Wunnerful pie crust, so flaky.

Back