What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pesto

I don't have an actual recipe - I just make it by taste and texture.

Lots of fresh basil leaves, a clove or 2 of garlic (to taste), a handful of toasted pine nuts and some freshly grated parmesan----- into the food processor until pureed.

Drizzle in good olive oil while the machine is running until it's the 'right' consistency.

Here is a recipe posted by MamaMangia a while back:

Hope this helps, and we welcome you to SpicePlace
This is nice to make - especially during the summer months; you're still having a great tasting meal but it's done in no time.

Serve over hot pasta or chilled cheese tortellini - great over hot ones too!

1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup chopped parsley
2 garlic cloves, quartered
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg - optional

In blender place all ingredients. cover and blend at medium speed untill all is well mixed.

Add/take away garlic and/or basil to your preference. I personally cant get enough of either. I'm not a fan of nutmeg - so usually don't use it.

I make a sundried tomato pesto. At least I call it a pesto.

2 cloves of garlic
7-9 sundried tomatoes
a pinch of hot pepper flakes
1/3 to 1/2 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of fresh grated parm cheese

In a blender, pulse the peeled garlic, sundried tomatoes and pepper flakes to a medium grate. Drizzle in the oil slowly to emulsify. Drizzle inn enough to get the consistancy you want. Pour into a container and stir in the grated cheese. Taste for salt and add if needed.
I also like to add roasted red peppers in with the tomatoes and garlic at times. This type of pesto is very nice tossed into a pasta or spooned over some bread slices and then toasted. Add some more cheese before toasting.

Yes! I love pesto and I have been trying to get away from the jars as well.

Thanks for all the great recipes!

Back