What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dried Beef Casserole

Katiecooks

Dried Beef Casserole

Ingredients:
2 C uncooked macaroni
2 C milk
1/4 lb dried beef
1/2 lb cheddar cheese - cubed
1 medium onion - chopped
4 hard cooked eggs
2 cans cream of mushroom soup

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in baking dish and refridgerate 12 to 14 hours or overnight. Top with dried bread crumbs and bake at 325 degrees for one hour. This is a crowd pleaser.....:cool:

That Casserole sounds so good, and easy. I don't know where I would ever find dried beef here in my area. All we have is the small jars of dried beef.
I guess I could dry it myself, I have done that "jerky" yeah, I know its not the same. But I sure like the recipe. CF:)

Dried beef casserole

Hi, CF - You could probably find the dried beef or corned beef in the section of your favourite supermarket where you'd normally find things like hot dogs and bacon/sausage and so forth. Dried beef - like what you put in red rag gravey - is usually found in small plastic envelopes hanging up in display. Incidently, I ate LOADS of fish and chips with lots of vinegar while I was at home!

So from what I am reading you could also use corned beef or maybe pastrami.
I was raised on gravy and rice, or sometimes just gravy and biscuits. But have never heard of red rag gravy. OK what is it. CF:)

Yeah, any of the very thin-sliced meats would work. Okay, red rag gravey, also sometimes called S.O.S. (S--T on a Shingle) or simply creamed chiped dried beef - delicious on biscuits or mashed potatoes. Try it for breakfast - simply cut up the meat in narrow stripes and make a regular white sauce and stir the meat into it and VOILA - you've got red rag gravey. It looks like you cut up red rags and buried them in cream sauce...hence the name. My husband - an old Navy man - could live on this stuff three times per day!

OK, thanks. I know about the SOS. Have eaten a boat load myself. and still like it. I cannot lie I love gravy.:) CF

Back