Jul 28  # 1 of 11
Braised Herb Chicken Thighs With Potatoes

This is a great one dish meal for a chilly night. Make up some biscuits while the dish is simmering on the stove top. Choose red skin potatoes
that are similar in size so they'll be done at the same time.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 skinless chicken thighs ( about 2 pounds)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1 large onions, cut into 8 wedges
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 lbs small red potatoes, quartered

Directions

1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag.
2. Add chicken; seal bag, shaking to coat.
3. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
4. Add chicken and remaining flour mixture to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly brown.
5. Add carrot and onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add broth, wine, and potatoes; bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
Jul 28  # 2 of 11
Yes, another winner. I find the dark meat has so much more flavor than white. Also we are eating more chicken and less beef because of price. Even though chicken is not cheap. I am about to get me a pen of chickens. CF:)
Jul 29  # 3 of 11
I always tell Jon on those very rare times we eat out that I do not want chicken because I cook so much of it at home since it is cheap. I saw a sales paper today where out local store has the chicken leg quarters .58 a pound. Beef it outrageous at Walmart! The few times I get it during the month the little store here in town beats Walmart's price on beef every time.

Funny story - One time Jon's brother's wife raised chickens to slaughter for the freezer. They were some breed that were genetically engineered to be harvest at a certain age when they were at their peek. Of course they let them go way way past that time before they got them in the freezer. Before they froze them Jon's Dad brought me about 8 leg quarters from them. I took my electric smoker to his house and smoked the chicken out on the porch. It was so tough you could not eat it. To be expected they blamed my smoker. I mentioned that it could have been the older chickens which they said that could not be the case. I said well let me know when they cook up some of the chicken how it turns out. A couple weeks later Jon's Dad told me several of his other sons in-laws had tried to cook the chicken and it was all tough. I told them it was the chicken. My Mom had bought some of those same chickens before and when they reached ever how many months they were supposed to be when you slaughtered them they even shed out their feathers and had trouble standing they were so fat. She never intended to get that type of chicken because hers were just pets. She was bummed they turned out to be that kind.
Jul 29  # 4 of 11
I think this recipe will make a good SS when the weather gets cooler.
Jul 29  # 5 of 11
I too think this sounds wonderful Janie. Starting today I'm on vacation from work for a week and a half. I ain't been in the kitchen hardly in weeks, it seems. But I hope to get plenty of good cooking done over the next several days, since I'm just gonna be hanging around the place and not really going anywhere, or doing anything extravagant at all. This dish just might be one of the ones I make! Love me some yard bird thighs/legs! :)