Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you make iced tea? (I know this sounds stupid)

ButterSticks Guest

Default How do you make iced tea? (I know this sounds stupid)

I know this sounds pretty stupid, but how do you make iced tea? Using the tea packs, not instant, of course.

See, my work gives us free coffee, hot choclate, and tea. Well, in interest of saving money and eating healthier, I gave up soda. But beyond putting the little tea bag into the glass, I don't know what I'm doing! I know you can add lemon and suger to it. I'd be making about a 32 oz cup at a time.

Thanks for helping me figure this out!

expatgirl Guest

Pour enough boiling water (enough for at least one third the size of the pitcher) over tea bags (I tie them together after removing the papers and staples)--- usually for a 2 quart container I use about 4 bags, and let steep for about 15 minutes and remove the bags. Then add the rest of the water and/or sugar and stir. With time you'll get the hang of just how strong you like your tea. Hope this works----it's my mother-in-law's recipe and she's been making tea all her life. YOu can then either choose to add sugar or not.

alice.b.toklas Guest

I put 6 cups of water in a 2 quart sauce pan and heat to a boil. I take the pan off the heat, and set 5 or six tea bags (depending on my mood) into the pot, hanging the paper tab over the side, and set a timer for 5 minutes. Then I remove the tea bags from the water and squeeze the juice from the bags into the tea. If you like the tea sweetened with sugar, add sugar to taste, start with a 1/4 cup. Then let the tea cool about 15 minutes and pour into a plastic pitcher and refrigerate until chilled. If in a hurry, use 8 or nine tea bags, add a little more sugar, and pour into a pitcher that is about 1/3 filled with ice.

At the office, I think you could adapt to using a large coffee mug with 2 tea bags to make the tea, and then let the tea cool some and pour over a glass of ice.

Add lemon juice, lemon wedge, and fresh mint to taste.

Raquelita Guest

I just add the tea bag to my glass - you have to get the right kind of tea though. Tazo works great, celestial seasonings doesn't.

expatgirl Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSticks View Post
    I know this sounds pretty stupid, but how do you make iced tea? Using the tea packs, not instant, of course.

See, my work gives us free coffee, hot choclate, and tea. Well, in interest of saving money and eating healthier, I gave up soda. But beyond putting the little tea bag into the glass, I don't know what I'm doing! I know you can add lemon and suger to it. I'd be making about a 32 oz cup at a time.

Thanks for helping me figure this out!
    Dear ButterSticks,

There are NO stupid questions on this site-----everybody has to start somewhere----when I first married, my husband had to show me how to cook--so good luck with the tea---the other suggestions are equally great---that's what's so nice about a cooking forum.

TexasRose Guest

Take the cup full of cold water and boil it (in the microwave). Or fill the cup about 2/3 full with boiling water if there is a coffee machine that dispenses hot water. Then add the tea bag (I would use 2-3 bags for that much water). Then fill the rest of the way with ice.

muslgrl Guest

I just steep the tea bags 1 tea bag foe 8oz of water for about an hour. Add sugar and lemon to taste and chill

medako Guest

I usually just heat about a cup of water in the microwave until nearly boiling, toss in a tea bag or two (depending on how strong I want it) and let it sit for a while (anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours - I sometimes forget *oops*) and then pour the brew into a gallon or so of cold water.

I don't like sugar in my tea, but if you do, I'd suggest adding it to the hot/warm brew because it dissolves better like that than in cold water.

ButtrflyDreams Guest

My husband always makes our tea in our coffee pot. We don't drink coffee...so we make tea instead. He puts 4 tea bags in where the coffee grains would go. And he puts about 3 cups of sugar in the pitcher with the hot tea. Hope this helps.

r8rpwr Guest

My usual method is to boil a 4-cup measuring cup of water in the microwave for 4 minutes. Then I put in 2 of the family size tea bags and let it steep for about 15 minutes. I then pour that into a 2 gallon (I think!) pitcher and fill the rest with cold water. Perfect.