What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you make iced tea? (I know this sounds stupid)

B

ButterSticks

I know this sounds pretty stupid, but how do you make iced tea? Using the tea packs, not instant, of course.

See, my work gives us free coffee, hot choclate, and tea. Well, in interest of saving money and eating healthier, I gave up soda. But beyond putting the little tea bag into the glass, I don't know what I'm doing! I know you can add lemon and suger to it. I'd be making about a 32 oz cup at a time.

Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Pour enough boiling water (enough for at least one third the size of the pitcher) over tea bags (I tie them together after removing the papers and staples)--- usually for a 2 quart container I use about 4 bags, and let steep for about 15 minutes and remove the bags. Then add the rest of the water and/or sugar and stir. With time you'll get the hang of just how strong you like your tea. Hope this works----it's my mother-in-law's recipe and she's been making tea all her life. YOu can then either choose to add sugar or not.

I put 6 cups of water in a 2 quart sauce pan and heat to a boil. I take the pan off the heat, and set 5 or six tea bags (depending on my mood) into the pot, hanging the paper tab over the side, and set a timer for 5 minutes. Then I remove the tea bags from the water and squeeze the juice from the bags into the tea. If you like the tea sweetened with sugar, add sugar to taste, start with a 1/4 cup. Then let the tea cool about 15 minutes and pour into a plastic pitcher and refrigerate until chilled. If in a hurry, use 8 or nine tea bags, add a little more sugar, and pour into a pitcher that is about 1/3 filled with ice.

At the office, I think you could adapt to using a large coffee mug with 2 tea bags to make the tea, and then let the tea cool some and pour over a glass of ice.

Add lemon juice, lemon wedge, and fresh mint to taste.

I just add the tea bag to my glass - you have to get the right kind of tea though. Tazo works great, celestial seasonings doesn't.

I know this sounds pretty stupid, but how do you make iced tea? Using the tea packs, not instant, of course.

See, my work gives us free coffee, hot choclate, and tea. Well, in interest of saving money and eating healthier, I gave up soda. But beyond putting the little tea bag into the glass, I don't know what I'm doing! I know you can add lemon and suger to it. I'd be making about a 32 oz cup at a time.

Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Dear ButterSticks,

There are NO stupid questions on this site-----everybody has to start somewhere----when I first married, my husband had to show me how to cook--so good luck with the tea---the other suggestions are equally great---that's what's so nice about a cooking forum.

Take the cup full of cold water and boil it (in the microwave). Or fill the cup about 2/3 full with boiling water if there is a coffee machine that dispenses hot water. Then add the tea bag (I would use 2-3 bags for that much water). Then fill the rest of the way with ice.

I just steep the tea bags 1 tea bag foe 8oz of water for about an hour. Add sugar and lemon to taste and chill

I usually just heat about a cup of water in the microwave until nearly boiling, toss in a tea bag or two (depending on how strong I want it) and let it sit for a while (anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours - I sometimes forget *oops*) and then pour the brew into a gallon or so of cold water.

I don't like sugar in my tea, but if you do, I'd suggest adding it to the hot/warm brew because it dissolves better like that than in cold water.

My husband always makes our tea in our coffee pot. We don't drink coffee...so we make tea instead. He puts 4 tea bags in where the coffee grains would go. And he puts about 3 cups of sugar in the pitcher with the hot tea. Hope this helps.

My usual method is to boil a 4-cup measuring cup of water in the microwave for 4 minutes. Then I put in 2 of the family size tea bags and let it steep for about 15 minutes. I then pour that into a 2 gallon (I think!) pitcher and fill the rest with cold water. Perfect.

if i want a 'quickie'

i would boil a pot of water and throw in the tea bags,
but later i realised that the tea becomes too strong.

It's better to just dip the bags in hot water and let the flavor slowly sift out.
and add sugar when it's still hot.

Thereafter, i would just throw the tea into the freezer to cool down faster.

hmmm, lemons, i always put my lemons last.
Has anyone tried putting it in when it's hot?

I love my tea strong and sweet.

We usually just put on a pot of water to boil and throw in 2 or 3 family size teabags. Once it comes to a boil, we turn it off and let it simmer for a while.

Then we pour it into a half gallon pitcher with about 1 1/2 cups of sugar while it is still hot.

I cheat and have a Mr. Coffee Ice Tea maker. I fill the pitcher with water and pour it into the machine then fill the pitcher with ice and place it under the drip spout. I usually put 8-10 regular sized tea bags in the basket (remove the paper tab first). Then turn the machine on. Once it stops brewing I immediately remove the pitcher of tea and add the sugar stirring vigorously so the sugar dissolves. Once this is done you have cold brewed ice tea ready to drink. I usually make raspberry ice tea.

I love strong sweet tea. Whether its hot or cold.

I would like to get the (I thinks its this brand) Mr Coffee hot tea maker.

My mom has atea maker and I really like it, but I can't justify the extra space it would take up on my countertops. I'm anal and like my countertops bare, whereas some people like to keep out certain appliances - and having a tea maker would be a great one to leave out. :)

aeiou - what do you put in your tea to add the raspberry flavor?

I don't think any questions a stupid one I love sweet tea and I don't know how to make it either. Angewl give a great straight forward answer.

Iced Tea is so easy to make....I do it the old fashioned way....Put three family size tea bags in a pot ( quart size ) of boiling water.... take pot off stove ...let it steep for about 10 minutes or so then drain it into a gallon size pitcher ...stir in 2 cups of sugar and fill the pitcher with cold water.

I make a gallon at the time. About every other day. I start with a saucepan that I only use for making tea. Fill with cold water. Add 2 family size tea bags (Lipton) bring to a boil and remove from the heat and let it steep for 10 or 15 minutes. Then add to your tea pitcher with sugar or sweetener to your taste. Stir to dissolve sugar and add water to full. Chill, enjoy! Being from the deep south you will never catch me more than a few steps from my iced tea at any given time!

Interestinlgy, most folks brew/steep tea in hot or boiling water- or using the SUN tea jar-method. Though I've recently come across several sources (including fantastic new southern cookbook "Screen Doors & Sweet Tea" by Mississippi chef Martha Hall Foose) that recommend making tea from cold water! Hmmm... Any thoughts, anyone?

Back