What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to slice potatoes to make chips?

R

r8rpwr

Since I am on WW, I am trying to do things like make my own baked chips, especially sweet potato chips. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get them sliced thin enough with a knife, as it slips and the slices are always too thick or too thin. How can I get just-right, consistently thin slices of potato so that I can make tasty oven-baked chips? I'm sure there is a gadget somewhere that will enable me to do that.

There's a great thread started about homemade potato chips in another section. This was for regular potatoes but I would assume that some of the techniques would work well for sweet potatoes as well. Let us know what you find out!

I am lucky to have a hand slicer that I can use to slice potatoes as thick or thin as I want. It's a cheapie - under $10 - but it's nice for slicing potatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, etc. when I am in a hurry or have a lot to prepare. It's the type with the little hand gizmo that has little "fingers" protruding from it to hold the veggies in place and protect you from cutting yourself. And all the slices fall into the plastic container (which is not big enough at times - but it serves its purpose!)

Thanks for the tips! Sounds like I have yet another kitchen gadget to purchase. :D

well darnit - i just sold one of these things on ebay -- check there -- they have french fry cutters and tater chip cutters.

Usually I just use a really sharp knife. I'm cheap like that. LOL

I think one of those mandolin slicers are what you'd want (is that what they're called? You move the handle part back and forth over the grater/slicer, i've seen it on informercials befores).

Just be careful of exactly which ones you buy. I've had some before that I thought would be great for potatoes...and bout whacked my hand off trying to jam the tater through it. Come to find out, it was really just for hard boiled eggs...for salads & such.

I would love to learn to make homemade potato chips I bet that they would taste so good.

I have tried this quite a few times, I use a cheese grater that has wider, longer slots on it and works for slicing potatoes. However when I make mine, then never get crispy, they just lay limp. I don't think I was made to make potato chips at home.

pohto - what kind of fat are you frying in? is your temp 375* F?? are you using russet potatoes?? different potatoes have different water content - some will slice thin and place in a large bowl of ice water to "crisp" before draining, drying and frying - also if cut too thick they will "blossom" and too thin will burn in the fryer

I was also going to suggest soaking the slices in cold water for 15 minutes to 24 hours before frying. It helps to release some of the starches and helps them to get crisp.

Wow thaks this is really good information. Actually you are going to laugh at me, because I ahven't been frying them, but I have been baking them, so I guess this has been my problem LOL. I will try your suggestions,a dn see what I come up with this time.

Well, if you have a peeler at home, you can always use that to slice your potatoes for potato chips. I've seen one restaurant that uses that method in making their potato chips. And they're neither to thin nor too thick.

My husband makes homemade potato chips at work. I will have to ask him what he uses to cut them!

A Kitchen Mandolin might be a good investment for you. It can be very useful (especially for a lazy kid like me XD)

After nearly slicing a couple of fingers off with a mandolin, I much prefer a sharp knife to do the trick. But then again, not everyone is as clumsy as I am.

After nearly slicing a couple of fingers off with a mandolin, I much prefer a sharp knife to do the trick. But then again, not everyone is as clumsy as I am.

nawww - you're not clumsy - those things are dangerous. The only thing I can suggest for anyone who insists on using a mandolin for slicing - invest in one of those plastic cheapo bar soap holders that has all those little "thingies" sticking up all over (so the soap doesn't get mushy) and use that as a guard so that you don't slice off any body parts!

I have a cheap plastic slicer that has a gizmo that you hold the veggies in place with - and it has those little thiniges that stick up for holding on to foods - or I wouldn't have any fingers left! Slicers are not really very safe!

Oh noes! :^___^: Didn't your mandolin come with a food holder thingy? They should make it illegal to sell mandolins without a food holder...thingy free.

Oh, and don't worry medako, I'm probably clumsier than you are :^__^: I sliced myself well with a mandolin when I was way younger, too, so that taught me the importance of those (what are they officially called anyway?!) food holder thingies very early on when using a mandolin.

My mom has this hand slicer she got from FingerHut years and years ago. I think it was actually a free gift or something. It is my favorite ever. I haven't been able to find one like it. Can anyone point me in a direction of a good slicer?

I have a mandoline now and I love it. I made sweet potato chips with it and they were so easy.

Back