What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cookies

L

loubear

Does anyone know how to keep russian tea cake cookies to keep their shape during baking:) ?

Yes, they shouldn't be spreading at all. They are shaped as balls but when baked they flatten out. Thanks for your reply any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
without seeing the recipe you are using - first of all - your butter/margarine may be too soft when you are using it also if you are placing the rolled balls on a hot cookie sheet they may spread before they bake - and be sure your baking sheet is ungreased -

here is a recipe if you would like - its from the 1940's!

Russian Tea Cookies

Yields: 8 Dozen

1 pound (454g) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup (237ml) powdered sugar
1 tablespoon (15ml) vanilla
2 1/4 cups (530ml) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon (1.2ml) salt
2 cups (473ml) finely chopped walnuts (pecans can be used)
Powdered sugar

Heat oven to 400' (205'C).
Mix butter, 1 cup (237 ml) powdered sugar and the vanilla. Stir in flour, salt and nuts. Shape dough into 1-inch (2.5cm) balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until set but not brown, 8-9 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar while warm; cool. Roll in powdered sugar again.

Ambrosia Balls: Substitute 2 cups (473ml) cookie coconut and 2 tbsp (30ml) grated orange peel for the nuts.

by the way - get yourself an oven thermometer - if your oven temp is off that can affect all your baking! be sure your oven is the correct temp

Thanks so much for your advice, I do think my oven temp is off, I have a really cheap stove that is old and uneven. I tried to bake chocalate chip cookies today and they got flat and did not cook in the middle of the cookies. I again think I need to fork out the money for a decent stove. My oven door does not even shut or seal when closed.

So sorry to hear about the stove! That could be the whole problem.

Do you have an electric skillet?

Fry Pan Cookies

1 egg
1/4 c milk
1 c dates, chopped fine
3 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 c shortening
2 tsp nutmeg

In measuring cup combine eggs, milk and dates. Set aside. Into large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, nutmeg, baking soda and baking soda. Add shortening and blend as for pie crust. Pour liquid over other ingredients and combine thoroughly. Shape into 2 rolls that are 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in wax paper. Chill, and slice into 1/4 inch slices as needed.

Preheat electric skillet to 350.
Place 12 cookies into fry pan. Cover. Bake for 5-6 minutes on first side. Wait until golden brown, then turn with spatula. Bake 3-4 minutes on second side. Cool on a cake rack, and frost with milk frosting as desired. This is not a very sweet cookie.

For extra sweetness, sprinkle with sugar before frying.

That sounds like a good recipe, I am not real fond of dates but I will keep an open mind and see how they turn out. I think I will start saving for a new stove also.

I'm quite sure this recipe would be fine without the dates or you can substitue raisins or try dried fruit of your choice.

Back