What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fold in?

L

Leneyloo

When a baking recipe tells me to "fold" something in, what does that mean? How do I do it and why?

(I know I'm a moron, I appreciate your tolerance ;))

I haven't made cakes or cookies in a while but to me Fold in means to gently mix something into the batter. What comes to my mind is using a plastic spatula to gently add vanilla, and using the spatula to fold the batter over top of itself.

folding is a gentle way of mixing a lighter ingredient (such as beaten egg whites or melted chocolate or melted butter) into a denser/heavier ingredient (cake batter, for instance) - ingredients are "folded in" (beaten egg whites for instance) so as to gently mix them in without losing their volume - when folding you want to trap that extra air in the batter -

folding is usually done after the main ingredients of the recipe have been blended together -the lighter mixture is placed on top of the heavier one in a large bowl. Using a clean and dry rubber spatula - start at the back of the bowl, and cut down vertically through the two mixtures, across the bottom of the bowl and up the nearest side; rotate the bowl a quarter turn with each series of strokes. This down-across-up-and-over motion gently turns the mixtures over on top of each other, combining them in the process.

I hope this helps

Found this one:
'To mix in or add (an ingredient) by gently turning one part over another
For example, Fold in the egg whites.'

I think we do this on making tacos too.

Back