What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oatmeal!

R

Raquelita

I love oatmeal, it's warm and filling in the morning and i love how healthy it is (if you don't use the flavored sugar-laden kind).

I'm always looking for new things to put in it too. Here is what i use in my oatmeal (not all at once though ;)).

Add-ins while cooking:
Milk instead of water - more nutrients and creamier oatmeal
Grapenuts
Granola
Raisins (cooking them with the oatmeal makes them plump and tender)

Add-ins as garnish:
nuts
coconut
applesauce (also helps oatmeal not get stuck to the bowl so it cleans easier)
banana
apples
berries
brown sugar
maple syrup

I usually have mine with brown sugar. I also like dried cranberries.

Do you use regular oatmeal or the long-cooking kind? (Steel cut, I think it's called?). I know the instant/quick cooking kinds aren't as healthy, but I never seem to have time to use anything else. I tried cooking a lot of it and then reheating when it was time to eat, but that didn't work so well.

I do use instant/quick cooking kind but i know its not as low on the glycemic index as steel cut. But i figure, hey, it's a step up over the flavored packets!

My son's favorite add-in to quick oatmeal is a little chunky applesauce and a had full of raisins.

Also you could add
craisins
maple syrup
brown sugar
blueberries
raisins, vanilla and cinnamon, then cook

Do you have a good recipe for the kind you do in the CP overnight?

Back