What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pork Spare Ribs - St Louis Style

K

Keltin

Here we are smoking some Pork Spare Ribs that I trimmed to St Louis style.

I ran the ribs for 4.5 hours at 225 degrees with hickory smoke. I also “mopped” the ribs every 30 minutes. A mop in this case was a commercial spray bottle with melted butter, oil, and apple cider vinegar. A few mists every 30 minutes, and all is good.

Put these ribs together with potato salad, baked beans, and a roll, and you have a plate full of love.

Here’s the pictures.

First, the rack of ribs sauced and off the smoker.

6qd6qz9.jpg

Next, close up of the ribs with their sauce.

7wg0nmc.jpg

Here, that rack is split.

8be5y8i.jpg

Next, we have a cut rib. Notice the smoke ring!!!

7xilxuh.jpg

Finally, we plate those smoked ribs with potato salad, baked beans, and a roll!

82c9k7m.jpg

Whoo, look at that last pic and see the smoke ring on them ribs, Sweet! That pink you see is the smoke ring. It's a beautiful thing!

Wow Keltin, those ribs are a feast for the eyes! That is a plate of love! I've never tried smoking meats but this makes me want to try. The beans and potato salad look mighty good, too. Were you celebrating something or just spoiling your DW?

Nobody likes a show-off, Keltin. :p

That's a real pretty plate. I notice you told us after the fact, hoping we wouldn't all turn up at your table.

Tcinsa: Really? Never smoked meats? You poor deprived creature! Maybe that should be the next topic at the cooking school?

How'd you make out breaking down chicken?

Thanks TC and KYH! I wasn’t celebrating anything, just got a wild hair to use the smoker. I’ve been using the outdoor DO a lot here lately, and I think the smoker was feeling neglected….but obviously it still loves me. LOL! :)

KYH, that is an excellent idea for the next school topic! There is a lot that could be said in that. Very good idea!

I have a gas grill so I think I'd need to buy a smoker, right? OK, I'm going to read everything in the smoking section so I can get some sense of what's involved.

I haven't broken down any chickens yet, KY. I ended up helping people move this weekend and having house guests that will be here through Tuesday. But I'm set for chickens - 6 in the freezer ready to go.

Sorry to hear that all those chix already are in the freezer.

Don't forget that once poultry is defrosted you do not want to refreeze it unless it's been cooked. So as you take those birds out you'll have to use them up.

Keltin....Try basting your ribs with a mixture of lemon juice and olive oil. Baste them every time you turn them. gacherokee..

Diid you use any sauce or rub on these Ribs or only the mop spray?

muffin

Looks incredible. what is the smoker that you used for these? did you just use a weber with indirect heat or do you actually have a smoker? Any recommendation on make and model would be helpful!

Keltin, Your ribs look awesome. We love Bar-B-Que. Matter of fact the whole meal is looking really good. Thanks for the photos, makes it real. I have always heard, no photo no proof that it happen. CF:)

Back