What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turkey Secrets

Jafo232

Having already cooked a Thanksgiving turkey, I got to thinking about all the things you learn every year about cooking turkey. What are some of your "secrets"?

I recently wrote about my "Losers Thanksgiving" where I used a roasted garlic and sage butter under and on top of the skin of the turkey to boost the flavor and help browning.

I have tried many other things with turkeys too:
  • Cooking in a bag
  • Cooking in a slow cooker
  • Covering with mayonnaise
  • Injections
  • Bacon
  • and many more
Carving turkey was actually a little of a debate this year as one of my guests asked my why I didn't slice the meat straight off the bird as opposed to removing the entire breast, and then slicing it. I just always preferred it my way.

Anyhooo, what are some of your secrets and techniques?

Hi Jafo,
I figure for all the turkey's I have cooked and always never had one that turned out bad I must know some kind of a secret, but it is a secret to me too:).
The only thing I do really....is keep the "Tom" covered during the entire cooking time, I only uncover to baste; and then after the turkey is done I uncover and then only to brown the skin nicely. The way I know it is done is meat pulls back from the bone and the legs look like they are going to break off at the joint and fall apart on me. I am with you though I actually slice the thing while it is whole and then place the meat onto a serving platter. I love the way mine turns out, never have had a dry "Tom". Also they now have those nifty little things that pop when it is done. Maybe I am just one of those lucky people who just do what I do and don't give it a whole lot of thought, and Wha-La it simply works! Of- course I never go with-out making the best gravy in the world from the pan drippings, so if it were dry I would drench it in the lovely tasting stuff HA! But honestly I never have been able to figure out all the fuss over the turkey when I was a young girl that I heard my elders raising!
But I do hope you will have a great success with yours! Also I start real early in the morning and place it in about 300 degree oven for a long time. There was this post earlier that told about a 2 hr cooking time @ 400 degrees, but that was for a un-stuffed bird. Me I like mine stuffed, and that just made me decide to stick to the tried and true!
Have A Happy Thanksgiving! Cathy

I always stuff the bird too. I find the herbs in the stuffing impart a flavor to the meat. As for browning, I let the bird brown during the cooking process and once the desired color is met, I then start to tent it with foil.

I agree w/ you the stuffing does impart flavor! And how interesting that you tent after browning. I just love turkey and can't wait!!! Only two days to go!

I don't stuff - I only stuff me for Thanksgiving! LOL

We are dressing people.

And I keep mine covered and uncover just to brown and it falls apart - so I know it is cooked the way I want. Mine are always full of flavor and not dry - so I just do the same old thing every time I make a bird.

Back