Nov 24  # 1 of 21
My youngest teen is really in to cooking and baking and I need help. After searching the internet for answers to questions I stumbled onto this site and began reading the postings. So many of them were full of great information for me that I believe this site of "culinary" enthusiast will be of great value to the culinary challenged mother.
Nov 25  # 2 of 21
Hi there. I'm new too. Just found the site today while looking for a chicken recipe. I love to cook and read about cooking so this site is GREAT for me. I think it's really cool that your SON likes to cook. He should check out this site. I love to check back often for new recipes...
I can't post url's yet so search google for "recipes by ingredient"
It lists recipes by main ingredient. It's nice to use when you're in a bit of a hurry and can't decide what to fix for dinner.
Good luck and Happy Holidays to the both of you.
Nov 26  # 3 of 21
Welcome, WVChick.

Got questions? Chances are we got answers. Don't hesitate to post on any food related topic, no matter how simple you think it may be. Always remember: There's no such thing as a dumb question.

Is your teen pushing the envelope, or just doing everyday kind of cookery? And is (s)he baking sweets or bread? Bread baking can be an arcane art form, very frustrating without some serious help and instruction.

Let us know how we can help.
Nov 26  # 4 of 21
Thanks for the input. My teen is tring all of the standard baking things from fruit breads to cookies and cakes but now wants to move into the "full meal" preparation. We have found some recipes that really explain the process but others are defenitely just ingredient lists that don't include how to prep. If you have any good beginner type recipes for main dishes and sides I would love to have them. Suggestions for good recipe sites and books would be great too.
Nov 26  # 5 of 21
Is your teen a boy or a girl? And what age? Both those could have an affect on the answers to your questions.

First, let me suggest that you open a series of threads on the appropriate forums here. That way we can attack the problem piece by piece, and with specifics, instead of keeping it too general over here. For instance, you say "main dishes and sides." But we can help better if you say "pork chops" and "root vegetables." Or even open a thread on menu planning that asks, what's a good way of cooking a whole chicken, and what to serve with it?

Next, see if you can find a copy of "The Joy Of Cooking." Older copies actually are better, if you can find one. But even the latest edition is a good, basic introduction to the how and whys, as well as the whats of cooking.

He/she will still find terms and techniques that need explanation. But that's when you turn to the forums. And keep in mind that google can be your best friend.

On bread making, hands-down the best book on the subject is Peter Reinhart's "The Bread Baker's Apprentice." Peter really explains the science behind bread, and you come away with an understanding of the process---which, with bread making, is a lot more than blindly following a recipe. Of which, btw, he has some great ones.

So, maybe one or both these books should find its way under the Christmas tree this year?

I don't do sweets myself, so can't recommend any basic books on baking cookies, cakes, and pies.

Menu planning is, itself, an art form because it's based not only on making the individual dishes, but understanding how their flavors work with each other. Many printed recipes include suggestions along those lines, i.e., "serve with X and Y." But really understanding these relationships comes mostly from time in grade. The more one cooks, the more one has a feel for what works and what doesn't.

Make sure you child understands one thing: Short of actually burning it, there is no way to destroy a dish. It may not turn out quite the way the recipe writer had in mind, but so what? And if it turns out to not be to everyone's taste, well then, next time you either don't make that one, or figure out how to improve it. In short, our mistakes are our best classroom.

One help is to read the upscale cooking magazines, such as Gourmet, Bon Appetitie, Saveur, and Food & Wine. To be sure, they are a little high-class and gourmetish for a beginner. But they are a great classroom for both regular dishes and menus.

I would choose just one of them, at first, and get a subscription. Bon Appetite probably makes the most sense, because of the sorts of things they cook and they way they present it.