Jul 6  # 1 of 6
ROASTING PEPPERS

To make roasted peppers, wash well and dry. (leave whole!) If you want, you can rub them lightly with a bit of olive oil but it really is not necessary to do it.

You can do them in the broiler or on the grill and if you have a grill pan, that will work. I prefer to do mine in the broiler only because that is the way I have done it for years.

In order to char them properly you must make sure that your broiler, grill or grill pan is VERY hot! Char them on all sides.

Remove to plastic bag and seal to make them ?sweat?. I have placed them in a bowl and covered tightly with plastic wrap to make them sweat as well.

When the peppers are cool enough to handle, rub off the skins; they will come off easily.

Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds, core and stem. Slice however you desire.

:)
Jul 6  # 2 of 6
You know, I have such a hard time with roasting peppers. It seems to take forever.

I almost always choose to do things myself, but on this one I started buying the jarred ones. I find there isn't really a difference in price because fresh red peppers are so expensive.
Jul 6  # 3 of 6
Yes, this is one thing I normally perfer do buy already done for me. Like the previous poster said cost wise it comes out to be the same and it's so much more convenient.
Jul 25  # 4 of 6
I do it over the burner of my stove and that works fine, I find.
Jul 25  # 5 of 6
That's the way I do it too. It just seems such an ordeal. I can never seem to get all sides roasted properly.

I was watching a recent episode of Hell's Kitchen where someone roasted red red peppers for soup and then it tasted burned. I'm afraid of doing that.