Dec 13  # 1 of 12
Here I am staring out the window today, watching the snow come down, almost a foot so far. The kids are at their friends, and are now staying the night because it is too slick to drive back.. The wife, who is an EMT calls and says she can't make it back, so will work an extra shift until the roads get better. Myself, my work for the day is done so I ponder out the window..

The snow brings back a lot of memories, and many of them involve food. Remembering when I was a child and coming in on a snowy day with my mother waiting with a cup of hot chocolate, followed by a dinner of hot chicken soup to scare away the remaining cold.

Moving on to my adult life, I remember many a time in college, walking back from school during a miserable snow storm to get home and find my roommates concocting hot toddies and other such liquid delights.

I then think about my current life. Watching the kids come in the house applecheeked from the snow, sitting down and repeating the ritual I enjoyed: sipping hot chocolate.

Kind of gives you a nice warm feeling, which is good because now, I am off to shovel...

Happy Winter. :)
Dec 13  # 2 of 12
Oh, yeah, Jafo. I remember those days.

Which is why I now live in a place that has a county ordnance against snow! :D
Dec 14  # 3 of 12
:) I must admit to being a wee bit envious of snow memories! Having grown up in Miami FL I can only remember cold as 40 degrees every now & then and we wore sweaters, never owned a coat, no central heat and one solitary kerosene heater to warm by on those cold days.
But....the tomato soup and tuna sandwiches we feasted on during our cold days were simply the best, and my mother made a goulash that was simply to die for! I still keep in touch with several of my childhood friends and they all fondly remember her goulash, the only problem: try as we might none of us have been able to make it exactly like she did :confused: so.......I wonder did our taste buds change or did we leave out some certain ingredient, or is it just one of those things we will never again feast upon in this lietime? I believe a little of all! Or hey....maybe we are just making it at the wrong time of the year :rolleyes:.
Mom will not give up her secret and just says I don't remember what all I put in there, today is her 72nd Birthday, when I call her today I am going to once again ask her....knowing her response I will smile once again and say O.K. Mom!
Happy Winter Back at ya'!
CCCathy
Jan 22  # 4 of 12
this thread reminds me of when my mom would make us dessert from fresh snow.

it was like a snow cone, she would grab a bowl of snow then pour vanilla extract over it ... thats all
Jan 22  # 5 of 12
Hi Jafo,

We actually got snow here twice last week!!! How is the snow up your way? I feel sorry for my sister in Vermont, I could never survive the cold! EEKKKKK:eek:

The one good thing that I see about it though is that it makes you want to cook some nice hearty meals to fight the chill, and I love having the oven on when it's freezing outside!

I made some homemade pita bread and hummus the other night, along with a dip made of refried beans (used a smoked chipolte sauce in this dish YUM) and crawfish, with steamed asparagus. It kept getting colder outside and warmer in, I loved it :).

Keep warm, CCCathy