Jul 2  # 1 of 20
My little sister's birthday is drawing near and I'm the cake-guy in our family. But since sis isn't really a cake person- so she gets a pair of pecan pies for her special day- the family feasts on one of the pies with candles at her birthday supper- and she keeps the second one all for herself!

Each year Dad gets a Choclate layer-cake, his wife gets angelfood w/ strawberries & whipped cream, my own Mom gets coconut layer cake, my bro-in-law gets German chocolate and my niece gets Lemon layer-cake & my little nephew likes ice-cream cakes.

For my birthday my sister makes me a Mississippi Mud Cake, which is a decadent, rich & gooey chocolate sheet cake brushed with melted marshmallow creme right outta the oven, and drowned in a fudgy/mocha frosting- YUM!

What special birthday treats or meals do you all make for your loved ones? Does anyone make anything particularly special for YOU on your birthday?
Jul 2  # 2 of 20
:D Great thread CAG!

Mine is lasagna for dinner, with salad and garlic bread; then a Key Lime Pie (hold the candles please)!!!
Jul 2  # 3 of 20
Yum, Cathy! I recently saw a presentation of Key Lime Pie that I hadn't seen before and I found it interesting. This was a meringue pie and instead of the the lime custard resting under a thick, browned blanket of thick meringue that had been spread completely across the surface in a neat layer, the merigue was instead put into a pastry-bag outfitted w/ a star-tip and cool little "squigllys" of meringue were carefully piped onto sectioned-off portions (8) of the pie so that when the portions were cut each wedge had a centered meringue "squiggly" atop of it. Very cool! (this was in one of the new-membership sign-up books that recently arrived from "The Good Cook" called "Sweety Pies" by Patty Pinner.)
Jul 2  # 4 of 20
I'm the cake person in our family too.

My brother always gets poppyseed cake. My sister usually gets banana cake layered with raspberries or blueberries, but this year she requested deep dark chocolate-orange cake. My dad gets coconut layer cake. My mom gets chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. My husband gets peanut butter cake with peanut butter buttercream filling and chocolate frosting.

Every year my mom bakes me a Maine blueberry cake with cream cheese frosting that we first had on a clambake on an island off the coast near Damariscotta when I was a kid. It took years to find the exact cake, but she did.

This Sunday, my middle little guy turns three, and he requested a vanilla baseball cake. That will be fun.

We definitely love our cake in my family.
Jul 2  # 5 of 20
I'm not, alas, a baker. :( So if anyone in this family wants a special cake or other confection for a birthday, well, that's what God gave us bakeries for.