Jul 3  # 1 of 66
I got 6 1/2lbs of cucumbers from the garden today.
I plan to make some bread and butter pickles tomorrow.

Do any of you have a recipe for canning cucumbers that you would be willing to share with me? I would very much appreciate some ideas for them because it looks like Im going to get quiet a few.

Starting to get banana peppers and their are little baby jalapeno and habanero peppers on. Gonna get to try Mama's hot sauce recipes very soon.
Jul 3  # 2 of 66
I'm assuming you mean in addition to the B&Bs, Janie?

Here's one we enjoy:

Sweet Pickle Spears

4 lbs cucumbers
4 cups sugar
3 3/4 cups vinegar
3 tbls canning slat
4 tsp celery seed
4 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tsp mustard seed

Slice ends from cucumbers and cut into spears. Cover cucumbers with boiling water; let stand 2 hours. Drain and pack into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.

Bring remaining ingredients to a boil. Pour hot liquid over cucumbers, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.

Remove air bubbles, adjust caps, process ten minutes in boiling water bath. Makes about 5 pints.

Note: Pickles 3-4 inches fit perfectly in pint jars. Longer ones should go into quarts.
Jul 3  # 3 of 66
For a less sweet pickle, try

Cucumber and Onion Pickle

In a large nonreactive bowl combine 12 medium cucumbers (about 6 pounds) and 1 pund medium white onions, both cut into 1/4-inch thick slices, and 1/3 cup salt. Let the mixture stand, covered, overnight and drain it through a colander. Rinse the vegetables under running cold water to remove the salt.

In a kettle combine 3 cups cider vinegar, 3/4 cup sugar, 3 tbls mustard seed, 2 tsaspoons celery seed, and 1 teaspoon turmeric and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the cucumber and onion slices and cook them, covered, for 3 minutes.

Spoon the cucumbers and onion into hot jars and pour the liquid over them, leaving 1/4" headspace. Remove air bubbles, adjust lids, and process ten minutes in a boiling water bath.

Note: yellow squash can substitute for the cucumbers in this recipe.

The folks at Heinz used to publish a pickling guide. For all I know they still do. This recipe came out of it:

cumber Dill Relish

4 lb pickling cukes, chopped
2 mediium onions, chopped
1 small head cabbage, choped
3 cloves garlic, minced
5-10 sprigs fresh dill week
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbls snipped fresh dill
1 tbls pickling spice

Tie pickling spice in a bag. In large pot combine all ingredients except dill sprigs. Mix well. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook 15 minutes. Remove spice bag.

Immediately fill pint or half-pint jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Place 1-2 dill sprigs on top of mixture.

Remove air bubbles, adjust lids, and process in boiling water bath 15 minutes. Makes 5-6 pints.
Jul 3  # 4 of 66
EASY DILL PICKLES

4 dozen pickling cucumbers (Pickling cucumbers are cucumbers that are not less than 3-inches long and not more than 4-inchs)
1 bunch dill
1 quart cider vinegar
8 c. water
1 c. pickling salt
1 clove garlic, peeled

Wash cucumbers and remove any stems. Cover with cold water and refrigerate overnight or for several hours. Pack the cucumbers into pint jars as tightly as possible. Poke in 2 springs of dill. Bring cider vinegar, water, salt and garlic cloves (12 to 16 cloves depending on your taste) to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Fish out garlic cloves with a slotted spoon and put one in each jar (or to taste) while the brine cools slightly. Pour the hot brine into the jars and seal.

Bread-and-Butter Pickles

6 lbs of 4-5 inch pickling cucumbers
8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 3 pounds)
l/2 cup canning or pickling salt
4 cups vinegar (5 percent)
4-l/2 cups sugar
2 tbsp mustard seed
l-l/2 tbsp celery seed
l tbsp ground tumeric

Yield: about 8 pints
Procedure: Wash cucumbers. Cut l/l6-inch off blossom end and discard. Cut into 3/l6-inch slices. Combine cucumbers and onions in a large bowl. Add salt. Cover with 2 inches crushed or cubed ice. Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours, adding more ice as needed.

Combine remaining ingredients in a large pot. Boil l0 minutes. Drain and add cucumbers and onions and slowly reheat to boiling. Fill jars with slices and cooking syrup, leaving l/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process pints or quarts l0 minutes in a boiling water canner.

Storage: After processing and cooling, jars should be stored 4 to 5 weeks to develop ideal flavor.

CRISP BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES

4 quart Cucumber -- thinly sliced
8 medium Onion -- peeled/thinly sliced
1/2 cup Pickling salt
5 cup Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon Celery seed
2 Tablespoon Mustard seed
5 cup Cider vinegar

Mix the cucumbers and onions with the salt and 2 quarts of cracked ice and let them stand, covered with a weighted lid, for 3 hours. Drain thoroughly and put the vegetables in a large kettle. Add the sugar, spices and vinegar and bring almost to a boil, stirring often with a wooden spoon, but do not boil. Pack the pickles into hot jars and seal.
Jul 3  # 5 of 66
I KNOW you are not asking for this - but I would like to share it -

CRISPY FIRE AND ICE PICKLES

1 gallon sliced dill pickles, drained
4 lbs. sugar
1 bottle (2 ounce) Tabasco Sauce (only this brand!)

Return the pickles to the jar, add Tabasco Sauce. Add sugar. Make sure the lid is tight on the jar. Turn it upside down 2 or 3 times. The first morning turn it on its top, next morning on its bottom. Do this for seven days. These do not need to be refrigerated.
Ready to eat after 7 days.

Sweet Garlic Dill Pickles
Put 1 garlic bud (1/8 tsp. garlic powder can be used)
big head of dill in bottom of quart jar.
slice pickles put into jar leaving 1/4 at top. (Slice about 1/8 inch thick (if too thin pickles won't be crisp)

Pour the following hot syrup on them:
2 cups water
3 cups sugar
2 cups vinegar
2 Tbsp. salt

Seal and put in canner or water bath. Bring to boil. Then turn off heat, remove lid and let set until cool. Ready to eat in 2 weeks. Makes 3-4 quarts.

Crispy Hamburger Pickles
1 gallon cucumbers thinly sliced
1 pt. vinegar
1 gal. cold water
1 pt. water
1 cup salt
6 cup sugar
1 gal. boiling water
1 Tbsp. celery seed
1 Tbsp. alum
1 Tbsp. whole allspice
1 Tbsp. cinnamon ( or 3 sticks)

Cover cucumbers with cold water and salt; let set 3-5 days (I put in refrigerator). Drain and wash in clear water 3 times. Now put in boiling water and alum; boil for 10 min. Drain and wash again.

Combine vinegar, 1 pt. water and sugar. Put spices in bag, drop into syrup mixture. add cucumbers and boil for 10 min. put in jars, seal & process in a water bath 10 min.

Garlic Dill Pickles
Dill heads
garlic buds
cucumbers
2 cups vinegar
3 tsp. salt
3 cups sugar

Place 2 heads of dill in a quart jar. Fill jar with cucumbers. Place 2-3 garlic buds on top. Bring to a boil the last 3 ingredients. Then pour over pickles enough to cover. Cold pack just to boiling point. DO NOT BOIL. Remove jars from water right away. Makes 3 quarts.