What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inside-Out Sweet Potatoes

K

KYHeirloomer

Awhile back Chubby mentioned the inside-out sweet potatoes from Marth Foose's Screen Doors & Sweet Tea.

I made a version of them last night, to have with a stuffed pork loin, and have to agree: they are a winner.

Ms Foose's recipe makes rather large ones, though. So I modified it. Using a heaping double tablespoon of the potato mixture, I hid three mini-marshmallows inside. Then rolled the balls in egg wash and crushed corn flakes.

Worked like a charm. We'll be having these again, for sure.

I had been planning to try that one soon. I was thinking the pic in the book looked like they were pretty big.

If they get your vote Brook, I will venture to give them a try:) Do you think they would be just as good minus the marshmallows? Reason I ask is..

Normally I despise marshmallows on, in, or around sweet potatoes...just got sick of it after a zillion years of having everyone think that was the only topping for the darned sweet potato casseroles and soufle's during the holidays.:mad: (Well it felt like a zillion years, but I'm not quite that old...yet! LOL)

As soon as I learned to cook and was a young married woman I made the soufle' or casseroles with a chopped pecan topping or oatmeal crumb topping, or no topping at all. I never want marshmallows on candied sweet potatoes either, and baked sweet potatoes for me are best w/butter, salt & peppa:D

By the way Brook I have a nice Moroccan recipe that calls for sweet potatoes and okra and of-course Lamb! Do you have one or would you like me to post mine?

I Did Not Mean To Ask Just Brook If He'd Like The Recipe, Anyone Who Is Interested Just Say So And I Will Post It:)
Sweet Potatoes And Okra Are 2 Of My Favorites M-m-m-m-m-m:d

I know exactly what you mean about marshmallow toppings, Cathy. They get pretty cloying. And I was never big on the taste of burnt sugar.

If you ever want to really overdo it, follow my Mom's method. She would cut oranges in half and juice them, then scrape out the membranes. If necessary, a slight sliver cut from the bottom so these "cups" will stand upright.

Then she'd mix the sweet potato filling, using orange juice plus all the usual suspects.

In the bottom of each orange cup would go a layer of crushed pineapple. Then the sweet potato filling. Then a topping of mini-marshmallows to cover the surface.

Just before serving these would be popped under the broiler to melt/burn the marshmallows and heat the filling.

Talk about gooey cloyee! Ugh! But, of course, as kids we loved 'em.

But it's a different flavor with the inside-outs. There's just a hint, really, of the marshmallow mouthfeel, and an added bit of sweetness. At least the way I made them, with the minis. I don't know how they'd work with the whole marshmallows of the original size.

BTW, although I didn't do it this first time, it occured to me that the peach gastrique I've talked about in the past would be an ideal additional flavor layer for the inside-out balls.

Back