French Toast with Brandied Lemon Butter
French Toast Recipe
- 4 egg substitutes
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 12 thick slices of bread that have been cut and and left out overnight to dry out
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- In a shallow bowl mix the egg, sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Dip bread slices in this batter and brown in a nonstick skillet which has been oiled with canola or a light olive oil.
- Place 2 pieces of French toast on each plate and sprinkle powdered sugar.
Brandied Lemon Butter
- 1/2 cup butter or margerine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 4 tsp grated lemon rind
- 3 ounces brandy
- Heat the butter or margarine in a small cooking pot.
- Add the sugar and continue to heat the melted shortening over medium heat for about 3 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the lemon rind and juice.
- Heat again until almost boiling.
- Add the brandy or rum and stir.
- Remove from heat and put into a gravy boat and place on the table.