What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snow!

jglass

Finally we got about 5-6 inches of snow this morning along with about an inch of ice. The traffic has been blissfully quiet except for the plows and salt trucks.

Jon's Dad measured the top of his porch roof and it was 5 3/4 inches of snow.
We are supposed to get more tonight then it is going to warm up tomorrow then rain for two days. Bleh! The kid have missed tons of school because of the weather this month.

They are expecting us to have 14 - 18 inches starting tonight - tomorrow is supposed to be really bad - and bad driving - they may close schools.

OMG! We havent gotten that much snow in 10 years.
That kind of storm would worry me about losing the electric.

One of the perks of living in town. The county bulldozer is cleaning the ice and snow from the parking lot right now.

You serious??? Cripe - 24 inches in a day is a dusitng to us here!

Blizzard 2000 - 14 feet of snow in less than 24 hours! They were trucking and train railing snow out of here for weeks! We were driving on 2 feet of ice for quite some time!

Not if you lived here all your life - you'd get used to it pretty dang fast - it's do or die! I never drove in this crap - hated it - but I was forced into it. I still don't like it - but you can't hibernate from October thru April or May!

Jeez electric is going out all over town and trees are going down from this ice storm.
Jons brother had a vaccine in his fridge for RSV that has to be kept cold. A home health nurse is going to administer the vaccine to their baby next week. WELL their electric went out and they took it to my mother in laws. Her electric went out about an hour ago and her hubby brought the vaccine up here. The roads are so slick it took him 45 minutes to make a 5 mile drive to get here. Our lights have went dimmer a few times but so far we still have lights. It is out all over town in spots.
I hope our electric stays on. I would hate to loose that medicine. My only other choice would be to make it to a conveniece store for some ice. On the good side the police station is right up the road so when our lights go out they get priority service. Could put the stuff on the balcony but in these temps it would freeze.

They declared a state of emergency in KY.
It is still pouring ice rain outside and we are supposed to get five more inches of snow tomorrow plus more ice.

Ahh yes.. Nice to see it isn't just US who are getting a nasty winter. We did manage to get up to 40 degrees for about two days before we went back to the low teens and below zero. During those two days, the ice finally fell off the roof from an earlier ice storm, not to mention the two feet of snow on top of that.

It is just a bad winter everywhere. People laugh when they see the snow bank next to my garage, because it is taller than the garage. It looks like someone built a Berlin style wall between me and my neighbor.

My aunt down the road sent me a picture of some deer moving around her house the other day which got her excited as she noted that spring usually moves in shortly after she sees deer in this part of her property.. The picture however does not make me feel any better (see pic below), hopefully it helps you out though :) .

Here at my job, in addition to monitoring burglary/fire alarm systems we also monitor weather & environmental/mechanical alarms.

We currently have about 100 power-failures all over the South- which is really an excessive amount! It appears ice-storms are really making life hell from Arkansas clear across to Maryland! I feel sorry for all you folks...

I've lived all my life in Illinois and Alaska- so I'm accustomed to some whacko winter weather... but currently, weather here in Illinois is on an even keel. FOr that I am grateful! Not too much snow- and not too terribly cold... (just don't blink, 'cuz that could all change!)

We got it here in Columbus too. They closed my office today WHOOO HOOO, SNOW DAY FOR THE GROWN UPS! All the snow we got yesterday is now shellaced into one solid chunk of ice. My car is encased in ice. It looks like it's made of glass. In another hour or so the freezing rain is supposed to turn into snow and then snow on us dropping 11 inches by the end of the day. Then we get more snow the next two days. Maybe I'll have the rest of the week off?

Luckily I am on salary but my company even pays hourly employees for the time missed if the close for the day so I can wish for snow with no guilt. It started to snow about 9 and has been coming down at about 1-2 inches per hour ever since.

OMG Look at those deer lol.
Now I feel guilty for complaining.

The second wave just started here. It is snowing and we are supposed to get a couple more inches of ice and 5-6 more inches of snow. We must have lost electric sometime after we went to bed at 3am because the clocks were flashing at 4:30am. It must have been just a flip off then back on. My brother has been without electric since 4 yesterday evening. My little sister and her family are without electric and it has been off at my FIL and BIL's since yesterday. My MIL doesnt have electric either.
I fuss about livinging in town but times like this it is a plus. Jon and I will not be going out in this mess today.

Back