What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shrimp Powder?

jglass

They had shrimp powder at the Mexican cooking store I was at the other day. What would you use that for?

I'm thinking it could be used to turn a Bloody Mary into a Bloody Shrimp Cocktail.

I know that a lot of oriental recipes use a lot of dried shell fish for recipes. I guess it's a good source for a fish stock.

Our friend Noi probably uses it. They are Thai but I wouldnt be able to understand her if I asked lol. She has a thick accent.

I didn't know they also use it in Mexico but a little search shows that it's used for shrimp patties. I found some interesting links but I couldn't post them yet (my post count is still low). I've sent you a PM then maybe you can post it later.

In Asia, it's use to add flavor, especially when cooking noodles. The shrimp powder is mixed with the sauted veggies or broth.

Locally, we buy them dried (small shrimps) called hibe (hee-beh). You can rehydrate them, pound or powder them. I also add these to rice soups (congee, arros caldo). Use in moderation since they give off a very distinct taste when used so much. Dried shrimps has certain smell that's not every Westerner may find appealing. Some commercial shrimp powder have MSG, which I try to avoid using.

What we love to have as seasoning too is shrimp paste. This can be home made or store bought. This is definitely a must try for the courageous food taster when in Asia.

I am unfamilar, janie...

Pixie... I worked in many Alaskan kitchens and we always had staffers from the Phillipines on board. I also managed a fisherman's bunkhouse out on the Aleutian Island chain and we had fisherman from all over the world- including the Phillipines. I have enjoyed the food of many a Filipino cook! Once, at The Unisea Inn in Dutch Harbor, an elderly prep cook named Florencio actually produced a worn and dated black & white 8X10 photo that showed him dressed in spiffy chef-whites w/ a large group of staff, standing w/ President and Mrs. Ferdinand Marcos!

In Asia, it's use to add flavor, especially when cooking noodles. The shrimp powder is mixed with the sauted veggies or broth.

Locally, we buy them dried (small shrimps) called hibe (hee-beh). You can rehydrate them, pound or powder them. I also add these to rice soups (congee, arros caldo). Use in moderation since they give off a very distinct taste when used so much. Dried shrimps has certain smell that's not every Westerner may find appealing. Some commercial shrimp powder have MSG, which I try to avoid using.

What we love to have as seasoning too is shrimp paste. This can be home made or store bought. This is definitely a must try for the courageous food taster when in Asia.

I've been to several countries in Asia and I've seen/smelled the large bins of dried shrimp. They definitely have a pong about them when they are in such large quantity but it's very tasty as you say when used in moderation. I have some shrimp paste at home and I use it the same way I would use fish sauce just to add some depth and je ne sais quoi to a dish

When I worked in Alaskan fishing communities (like Dutch Harbor, the Pribolovs, Kodiak, etc...) we were surrounded by seafood processing plants and sea-going processor vessels. Mainly only pure muscle-protein product was harvested for this country, while the last bits of the catch (including by-catch) was sent over-seas to mainly Asian countries where literally everything was utilized (from skin and bone, to scales, viscera and all soft tissue. ) I tell ya... those peoples can make delicious food product outta danged near anything!

Jon has PT today so I think I'll go next door and pick up some of the shrimp powder.
It may be useful when Im cooking asian food.

Hi Chub. It's nice to know you've met some Filipino cooks. I bet they have surprised you on how "inventive" they can be. Being able to cook for any President must be one's proud moment, that's why Florencio keeps the picture.

jglass, I think you can use it to flavor any shrimp dish you may have. But really be careful to use it in moderation. It can be overpowering.

I use fish sauce in my eggrolls and some other things. A little goes a long way with a lot of those sort of things lol.

Shrimp powder use

Hi,
I spent some time in Kauai recently and my friend there was using shrimp powder in her sushi. She sprinkled a little bit on before she rolled it. Was tasty, but not overpowering, and added some color as it is very bright red.

I tried to find some last night in an Asian food store, but maybe I need to check the Hispanic stores.

Back