Jun 10  # 1 of 11
I love to barbecue and especially love to barbecue with smoking wood chips. I find that chicken barbecued with Mesquite Wood Chips is the the best. I have heard that Apple Wood Chips are great to use for chicken as well. Does anyone have experience using Apple Wood Chips?
Jun 10  # 2 of 11
Hi aeiou!
I've never used apple wood chips, nor have I ever seen them in stores. Do you make them yourself? We usually just make our own hickory chips by chopping up fresh hickory limbs and use them to smoke with. It's easy that way as there ain't no need to soak the wood chips. The limbs are green so are already wet naturally. It works great.

Rob
Jun 11  # 3 of 11
Hello Rob,

You can get apple wood chips or pieces from any orchard that has apple trees. They have to regularly prune the trees and normally just discard the purned limbs. You can ask them to have some of the purned limbs. If they are still green you can use them like the hickory you described. The apple wood really adds a sweet smoked flavor to whatever you are barbecuing.
Jun 12  # 4 of 11
Hard to find orchards these days unless you live in the country. I wonder when they prune the trees, spring or fall? Knowing the right time or year would make a country tip more useful for a Balmerite.

Here's a place that focuses on woods for barbecuing. Looks like they sell apple wood for campfires and chimineas too. They have a lot of other woods too, including apricot. That sounds sweet :)
Jun 12  # 5 of 11
Thanks Oldbay for listing the website where you can purchase the apple wood. They offer the applie wood in bisquettes as well as wood cooking planks. I will definitely have to purchase some of both. The apricot also sounds like a great sweet and mild smoking flavor, will have to check it out.
Orchards usually prune their apple trees in the late winter early spring and are usually more than willing to give you the pruned limbs.