Jun 16  # 1 of 37
I have tried on several occasions to make homemade baked potato chips and each time they either come out not cooked enough or over cooked and crumbly. I slice the potatoes about 1/8" thick and place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet that is sprayed with cooking oil. I sprinkle with a little Old Bay Seasoning before cooking. I cook them for approximately 10-15 minutes at 375 degrees. Does anyone have a fool proof method for making homemade baked potato chips?
Jun 16  # 2 of 37
I buy them in a bag and never thought about what it would take to make them myself. Just how much work is it? Are you trying to create your own potato chip flavor or something?
Jun 16  # 3 of 37
I don't know about fool proof but it seems like you may need your oven a bit hotter. Have you tried 400 degrees?

The thickness of the chips seems to be about right. In fact, everything else seems about right. I'd just say that your oven needs to be hotter.

And just a question on the cooking oil, are you trying to limit how much oil is on them by using the spray stuff? What about tossing the slices of potato with oil rather than spraying them? And then once you can get the chips to actually turn out okay you can slowly cut down how much oil you need until it's your desired amount.

Hope you can get them to turn out! I love making my own tortilla chips, but have never tried potato chips.
Jun 19  # 4 of 37
Thanks for the suggestion Ainjel. I will put the oven temperature to 400 degrees the next time I make my homemade potato chips. The only oil I used was what was sprayed on the cookie sheet before I put the potatoes on it. Do you think that we need to have any oil on the potatoes before we start to cook them? The reason for making them at home is to have a more natural potato chip unlike most of the ones that you purchase commercially.

I would love to have your recipe for homemade tortilla chips.
Jun 20  # 5 of 37
I haven't actually tried this technique on baked potato chips but it works like a charm on almost any potato dish I've tried it on. See, heat breaks up certain bonds on potatoes that's why they sometimes come off as soggy or crumbly.

The trick is to add in on some yogurt. Weird but at actually works. I'm not sure how you can "apply" it to the potatoes though. :-)