What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Homemade Baked Potato Chips

D

DrPepper

I have tried on several occasions to make homemade baked potato chips and each time they either come out not cooked enough or over cooked and crumbly. I slice the potatoes about 1/8" thick and place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet that is sprayed with cooking oil. I sprinkle with a little Old Bay Seasoning before cooking. I cook them for approximately 10-15 minutes at 375 degrees. Does anyone have a fool proof method for making homemade baked potato chips?

I buy them in a bag and never thought about what it would take to make them myself. Just how much work is it? Are you trying to create your own potato chip flavor or something?

I don't know about fool proof but it seems like you may need your oven a bit hotter. Have you tried 400 degrees?

The thickness of the chips seems to be about right. In fact, everything else seems about right. I'd just say that your oven needs to be hotter.

And just a question on the cooking oil, are you trying to limit how much oil is on them by using the spray stuff? What about tossing the slices of potato with oil rather than spraying them? And then once you can get the chips to actually turn out okay you can slowly cut down how much oil you need until it's your desired amount.

Hope you can get them to turn out! I love making my own tortilla chips, but have never tried potato chips.

Thanks for the suggestion Ainjel. I will put the oven temperature to 400 degrees the next time I make my homemade potato chips. The only oil I used was what was sprayed on the cookie sheet before I put the potatoes on it. Do you think that we need to have any oil on the potatoes before we start to cook them? The reason for making them at home is to have a more natural potato chip unlike most of the ones that you purchase commercially.

I would love to have your recipe for homemade tortilla chips.

I haven't actually tried this technique on baked potato chips but it works like a charm on almost any potato dish I've tried it on. See, heat breaks up certain bonds on potatoes that's why they sometimes come off as soggy or crumbly.

The trick is to add in on some yogurt. Weird but at actually works. I'm not sure how you can "apply" it to the potatoes though. :)

The tortilla chip recipe is really pretty easy. I like to make dessert tortilla chips too and put cinnamon and sugar on them. I'll get both recipes all typed up and post them in the recipes area for you to check out.

Not really related to potato chips but here's a nice, short Japanese video on how to cook potatoes to hold their shape. See it here. If you didn't catch what the little cube is, it's butter. :)

Ugh! I haven't had potatoes in so long! That is making me so hungry. My boyfriend is on a low-carb South Beach inspired diet so he asked me to just not make potatoes because that's his biggest weakness. I on the other hand am not on the diet so I really really really want some potatoes now!

Good thing my boyfriend's not on any diet. But he dislikes pork and beef though, so we steer clear of that when he's at my place. :)

Well if you really want potatoes, you can always sneak out to the nearest McDonald's. Heheh. :D

Ugh, McDonald's. I don't eat fast food very much, and their french fries... I've just lost the taste for them. I'd rather Maid-Rite's french fries. : )

How do you slice the potatoes thin enough at home for making a potato chip? Can't be a knife. A meat slicer would do, but who has one at home?

You can use a mandolin to slice them nice and thin. One thing I was thinking that would work is an adjustable cheese slicer. I used to have one, my current cheese slicer is not an adjustable one though I do have a mandolin. I just don't use it as often as I could use it.

I find that my Cuisinart Food Processor does a great job in slicing the potatoes thin enough for making homemade potato chips. The one downside to using it is that the potatoes have to be the right size to fit in the food processor tube. This usually means making a smaller size potato chip than what you typically find in good commercial potato chips.

If you want to make some different homemade potato chips buy some of the more exotic potatoes (Yukon Gold, Purple Ones, etc). The difference in color will add a nice touch to your homemade potato chips.

I make my own potato chips (deep fried) and then I started making them in the oven....But I slice mine THIN, grease my baking sheet and season any way I want them. 375* F. I like to slice with my "crimper" and make wavy chips when I bake them.

I also make "buttons" which I slice 1/4-inch thick and bake; sprinkle with grated cheese (if desired) at the last minute of baking. Once again, greased tin, but at 350* F. Sprinkle with any seasoning you desire.

You know my husband sometimes makes torilla chips. He buys the torillas (the round ones) and cuts them into triangles and deep fries them for just a little while til they are crispy.yummmmmmmmmmmm they are so good lol.

What's really tasty are pita chips. Cut pitas in wedges, drizzle with olive oil and season with garlic salt, cumin, and oregano and bake for 10-15 minutes. Yum, and relatively healthy.

r8rpwr said:
What's really tasty are pita chips. Cut pitas in wedges, drizzle with olive oil and season with garlic salt, cumin, and oregano and bake for 10-15 minutes. Yum, and relatively healthy.
I was just coming to post this! I love homemade pita chips. I eat them with hummus (especially Trader Joe's Kalamata Olive) or Baba Ganoush (eggplant dip). It is also good to spread the hummus/BG inside pieces of pita before toasting them, and then putting it in the toaster oven. Makes a warm and crispy snack :).

i never thought about making my own potatoe chips... hmm going to have to give it a shot, sounds interesting.

What I like best about homemade chips is the fact that you can flavor them with anything you want! I have made them chili flavored, taco flavored, BBQ flavored, pizza flavored, green onion and garlic flavored, ranch flavored - just to mention a few. And sweet potato fries are just as good!!:p

Back